Bruce Bingham Flicka 20 Plans

Damn, I made this boat in 3D with confusing and not very understandable small drawings, thanks for the projects I will use them to complete my model.

Just looked up the Flicka's in your gallery, they're looking quite OK to me . . :)


full



full



full
 
Last edited:
BTW, don't know if Bruce Bingham meant it that way, but Flicka is Swedish for: girl - gal - lass - damsel - etc.

An example; Flicka's Fika, about a Belgian Flemish lass who lives in the maritime and multifaceted city of Gothenburg in Sweden, the blog is in Dutch.

header3.jpg


Fika is also Swedish and means coffee break, so Flicka's Fika is a girl's coffee break, which is when she does her writings, I think...
 
Last edited:
Last edited:
The Flicka has more than enough displacement for ferro construction and many were built in this medium, nothing wrong with it. I have personally seen two ferro versions, the first being a beautifully built example, built at Span Farm boatyard in Auckland, NZ by a guy from Oregon and subsequently sailed home to Portland. The second not so beautifully built in Minneapolis. Interestingly enough I just bought an old copy of Nautical Quarterly magazine which had a story about the Flicka and was showing the article to our parts guy at work (just this afternoon) who has had a Pacific Seacraft Flicka for many years and while the article gives a displacement of 4500 lbs he says his is actually around 6500lbs, very easy to accomplish in Ferro. I don't know if folks built them from plans in one off solid glass but if so it would be no less work than in ferro to achieve the same quality of finish as the one I saw in Auckland. I have personally built a larger version, the Fred Bingham designed 24 ft Allegra hull for a client using the C flex method in solid glass as well as a Hartley RORC 39 ferro sailboat so I do know a bit about both mediums.

Steve.
You are correct, the Flicka was designed for ferrocement and the one built at Span Farm was indeed a beautiful example. You are slightly wrong in suggesting that the build is "easily accomplished" in ferrocement - I think a certain amount of skill and knowledge, and great care is necessary to produce a good ferrocement hull, especially one so small, where weight is a paramount concern. This was certainly achieved in the case you refer to. The vessel's name was (is) "Sweet Thursday". It was not sailed back to Portland, in fact it remained in New Zealand and is now back to being a bare hull, it is in Whangarei and owned by a friend of mine. The ferrocement hull has outlasted the timber superstructure so the hull has been gutted. There was damage to the ferrcement hull due to contamination with diesel. Repairs were undertaken and I helped with that, and took a number of photos. I observed at the time that the hull was beautifully built, extremely fair, and about as light as a free-form ferrocement structure could be made. I an understand why her owner wants to restore her. However it is not common to see such a well-built amateur-built hull and I think these days, if a fibreglass hull version were available, that is probably a much easier route to take. The hull itself is reminiscent of the Falmouth Quay Punt, a lovely, conservative, traditional shape which has been popular in New Zealand for decades. I was keen on ferrocement (and building a hull) back in the days of Span Farm, Ferrocement Construction Ltd (Morley Sutherland), etc etc and enjoyed your contribution to this thread.
 
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making any potentially dangerous or financial decision, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.

  • Back
    Top