Bruce Bingham Flicka 20 Plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mustafaumu sarac, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  2. Angélique

BTW, don't know if Bruce Bingham meant it that way, but Flicka is Swedish for: girl - gal - lass - damsel - etc.

An example; Flicka's Fika, about a Belgian Flemish lass who lives in the maritime and multifaceted city of Gothenburg in Sweden, the blog is in Dutch.

[​IMG]

Fika is also Swedish and means coffee break, so Flicka's Fika is a girl's coffee break, which is when she does her writings, I think...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  3. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

Thanks I am pleased with this, in fact I have worked hard to redo this model, even the displacement is very similar to that of the original boat, the model is available somewhere in post that I did some time ago.

4. Angélique

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018

5. sltak

sltak Junior Member

You are correct, the Flicka was designed for ferrocement and the one built at Span Farm was indeed a beautiful example. You are slightly wrong in suggesting that the build is "easily accomplished" in ferrocement - I think a certain amount of skill and knowledge, and great care is necessary to produce a good ferrocement hull, especially one so small, where weight is a paramount concern. This was certainly achieved in the case you refer to. The vessel's name was (is) "Sweet Thursday". It was not sailed back to Portland, in fact it remained in New Zealand and is now back to being a bare hull, it is in Whangarei and owned by a friend of mine. The ferrocement hull has outlasted the timber superstructure so the hull has been gutted. There was damage to the ferrcement hull due to contamination with diesel. Repairs were undertaken and I helped with that, and took a number of photos. I observed at the time that the hull was beautifully built, extremely fair, and about as light as a free-form ferrocement structure could be made. I an understand why her owner wants to restore her. However it is not common to see such a well-built amateur-built hull and I think these days, if a fibreglass hull version were available, that is probably a much easier route to take. The hull itself is reminiscent of the Falmouth Quay Punt, a lovely, conservative, traditional shape which has been popular in New Zealand for decades. I was keen on ferrocement (and building a hull) back in the days of Span Farm, Ferrocement Construction Ltd (Morley Sutherland), etc etc and enjoyed your contribution to this thread.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.