Broom Viking

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by bluishbob, Feb 6, 2008.

1. bluishbob

bluishbob New Member

Hey all,
    This is my first post (i'm new here).

I know often forums like these have their own little things, so if there is a newbies section or something you would like me to introduce myself in...please say.

I have been offered a Broom viking, wooden speedboat.
    It is the same as this http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/BS09137

Now it needs a little work, but mainly cosmetic, as far as i know there is not much rot etc.

Now it has no trailer or engine, simply a hull.

The guy wants £500. Is this reasonable, or a sittle steep?

Is there anything i should know about these? Has anyone god/had/any experience with them? They seems to be hard to find.

Many thanks
    Jamie

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you're unfamiliar with wooden or composite wooden boats, you should seriously consider having a person that is quite familiar with the construction type and wooden boats in general, look her over.

Without an engine or trailer, she's not worth a lot and the market for these little gems is flat.

As a rule, no engine, probably missing controls and other hardware, no trailer, means a pretty cheap boat. Unless the boat has some special historical significance or is in very good to exceptional concision, then you may want to find a more complete craft to cut your teeth on.

"Not much rot" generally means you've seen a little and will find a whole bunch more, when you get things opened up for a good inspection.

3. bluishbob

bluishbob New Member

Ok, As for experience, that will not be a problem. I'm not worried about this aspect of things. If all else fails i have friends that can put me right.

I find it hard to understand what you are trying to say, yes it is only a hull, but i'm not looking at getting it on the water in 3 months, i want to restore it to the best of my ability for the fun of it.

I have a 4m rib that i use on the water, and putting this on the water would only cost more in insurance and broads tax.

SO is there really not much of a market for them, this one on B&A is the only one i could find for sale on the internet, and it seems to be a good price. It would be interesting to see if it sells in the next few months before the season starts.

Many thanks

** As for rot, i haven't actually seen any, i will be having a better look soon. The owner has started doing some work, but i assume there may be a little.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A sign I saw in St. Pete many years ago and is so true . . . " FREE BOAT, with purchase of engine, electronics and trailer" . . .

5. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

A personal observation, in general boats are a buyers market. A man with cash in his pocket who is actually determined to buy a boat in a months time will find a plethora of available choices that have been lovingly cared for and represent an incredible value if viewed through the lense of brand new replacement costs. My .02, your choice.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.