Bronze Skeg

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by JC47, Aug 31, 2006.

1. JC47

JC47 Junior Member

I am rebuilding a Stevens 47 sailboat. I had to remove the bronze skeg cap which is about 2 1/2 feet long. It is of course hollow and bolts onto the skeg stump made of FRP. My question is before I re-attach it what can I do to prevent any corrosion may occur. A boat building buddy recommend filling it with epoxy, the extra weight would not be an issue. My initial thought the if any moisture was able to get between epoxy and the bronze that would be worse than a open space. What are your thoughts or would what material would be a good to prohibit corrosion. When I bolt the skeg back on I will force 5200 around it prior to bolting. JC47

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.