Broken spar - Repair or buy a new one?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by jbassion, Jun 9, 2007.

1. jbassion

jbassion Semi-Pro

I have a 45' mast that was broken. I realize that it is passable to sleeve it, but can it be done without loosing +/- 4 ft. and would the cost of the sleeve and expert welder be close to the price of a new mast? Anybody down this way have a lead on a used replacement?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A sleeve will fix 'er up all right, just avoid the southern oceans. A welder can also do a good job, though you'll need a section of stick to replace what needs to be removed from the twisted and bent up areas.

Dwyer has a web site that can help you ID the section of the stick for your Benny. I don't know if they sell shorter pieces, but they do price by the foot, so I'd imagine so. Log onto www.dwyermast.com and find your section and check out the prices. I don't think you'll be as shocked as you believe.

I thought you'd be sailing to the islands by now, Jerry.

1 person likes this.
  3. jbassion

jbassion Semi-Pro

Thanks Par

Not sailing yet, but very close. I learned a lot on the first boat, and I am really proud of the finish I got on this one. I even picked up some side work doing roll and tip Awl grip and refinishing teak from people seeing what I have done to the Benny. -slows down the time I have for mine, but pays for the "hobby".
    I wanted to contact you direct. I have a friend that lives a few miles from you that was looking for a 30' project. I gave him your name, but don't know if you ever got together.
    My son is a senior now. I have been up there a couple of times, but didn't know how to contact you. I knew the answere to the sleeve question, but I knew you would reply. Could you email me your Yards' phone number, so I can come by to annoy you the next time I visit my son?
    By the way I did find a new mast made for a keel steped 36' Benny on ebay (best offer). I would have to cut it. Mine is decked stepped, we are negotiating ---Down to a grand, but I want more off...

jbassion@comcast.net

Jerry

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.