broaband radar

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by kelp, Jul 6, 2009.

1. kelp

kelp Junior Member

Navico is selling their new broadband radar under Lowrance, Simrad and Northstar. Am thinking of ordering the Northstar version although I'll bet you they're all the same. Broadband radar does seem impressive. Any thoughts? Thanks

2. masalai

masalai masalai

I like the concept and am considering same for my build/boat, do you have any comparative pricing? You know, old pulse type radar system in color & 24 mile and 36 mole monochrome as compared with the new broadband systems of similar range and color / monochrome & screen size options (initial comparisons I like to do with the basic model then go for "inclusions" as a bargain/discount say gps, Cmap charts etc... - - Single function means that if one fails there is still the other instruments/options/information sources...

3. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

It is going to take a couple of years before it really works to it full potential and the price drops also. I will be waiting to then, otherwise in two years, I have to buy it again. That is just what happens in electronics.

4. masalai

masalai masalai

They were on display at the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show when I went on 21 May (the day it was closed because of heavy weather & some local flooding - perfect as no crowds and no "cockroaches":D:D)

5. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Broadband is reported to be FAR superior at relative short range, but not so for long range. In other words, for 99% of applications it would seem to be the way to go.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.