hull deck joint rebuild

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Danielsan, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Danielsan

Danielsan Amateur designer-builder?

Hi guys been a while since was here last time....
    now I am finally here for real... after years of thinking and thinking I got myself a project...

it supposed to be a 18ft Fletcher... however I cant seem to find any comparable model on the net.

so i stripped the thing down took the 250 CID out and took everything apart....

now slowly building up again.... now i get to the point I want to put the hull and deck together again... the hull part was easy to rebuild on the joint level... but the deck seems to be more difficult as you can see in the pics... any idea how to fix this in a good way?

any advice is higly apreciated...

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Many of those types of boats had self-tapping screws and silicone holding the deck/hull together. If you have access, bolts and nuts is a better way of fastening. I would grind and laminate a 2 or 3" tape to the inside. The hull could also use a tape to cover the holes and some reinforcement. Silicone works OK, but and adhesive like 5200 will hold better and put less stress on the fasteners.

3. Danielsan

Hi Gonzo! Thx... That’s what I already figured out :) repairing the hull was quite easy as this is interior.... but the deck part is more visible and I think sanding down quite some bit from the exterior side will be necessary. But I want to avoid to have an all putty filled deck.... laying a one or two layers of tape on the inside will also do some good but just hope it won’t get to thick to fit the hull part... attached some pics of bonded pvc strips on the inside of the hull joint... the pvc can be screwed directly or tapped and will act as stress relief backing...

Attached Files:

4. Zippydoodah

Zippydoodah Junior Member

Sanding the backside with 80 grit ee applying several layers of glass cloth all the way around You wont be able to do that with the deck because it will change the thickness and you will have to grind and pry to get them to marry. Just put new crew holes in the deck and dont reusethe old holes. Altho I would prb use a glass filler fornthe screw holes on deck and bevel the back side so the filler will hold.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The cosmetic issue can be solved with a rubrail.

6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Grind back to glass.

Fill with milled fiber and resin.

Finish as needed.

Any holes in the deck are best repaired by lying glass into a ground out recess.

Glass or putty is a fact of life in boat work.

I can't tell. What are those raised sections?

7. Danielsan

Raised sections? I think you mean the inside of the cockpit?

I imagine some sanding glass and fibre putty will be necessary... and some remodelling ofc :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.