bridge deck streamlining greenhouse effect

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Owly, May 19, 2022.

1. Owly

Owly Senior Member

The obsession with streamlining to make the bridge deck cabin appear smaller and more streamlined than it really is strikes me as an aesthetic imperative rather than something that has real significant value. it is the standard for all but a very few small cats, as well as most larger cats. The liability is reduced view from inside the cabin as well as thermal gain. The greatly sloped cabin windows (nearly flat) are practically designed to make the interior a greenhouse unless covered with reflective material. This sucks both in port and at sea in the kinds of weather where someone does not want to be in the cockpit...... presumably steering on electronic tiller pilot or wind vane. A cat with a bridge deck cabin with good all around visibility means that the person keeping watch can shelter inside when comfort demands at intervals and still keep a fairly reasonable watch. I t also means that at anchor in cold rainy, snowy windy etc weather, you can lounge inside and enjoy the views where you are at anchor. There are not many exceptions.
    I've sketched modifications to cabins with a curved nearly vertical forward panel so vertical windows could be incorporated on several designs just for fun. The panel would be fairly tall at center, and as it curved aft toward the ends joining with the cabin profile, it would naturally get shorter with smaller windows. This greenhouse effect is an irritant to me.

2. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Less windage, exposure, weight, paint, greenhousing.
    More deck space available ( for solar panels, etc. ).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.