Brewer 12.8 centerboard gone

Discussion in 'Stability' started by geoleo, Dec 31, 2013.

1. geoleo

geoleo Junior Member

Centerboard pin

Just use a type 316 SS pin you can buy a bolt 12 inches long and cut the head off, then its just right. You also need to place spacers in the hull gao where pin is, mine took 7 -1/8 2 1/2 type 316 washers epoxy glued ther -this keep board from "walking back and forth across pin. Factory put nothing there.dont use type 304--factory pins were type 316.The factory installed a pipe fitting nut on one side of the pin hole removed with a 1/2 square drive ratchet. other side was putty ed in . I thought I had the only perfect 12.8 Centerboard! Actually there is a design error. When up and flush the wide part of the board(2 3/4 thk, is ABOVE the shoe liner which is only 4 1/2 inches high, this widest part starts at 8 1/2--so there is about 5/8 space on each side at that point instead of 1/8. This causes board to go thump thump. I extended my shoe/liner to be 13 1/2 high and glued a 1x3/8 wide teak strip down the outside of the liner to keep the 3inch wide slot perfect. It all cost about $9000 with new board using original factory mold costing $4600 with new pin -etc.:cool:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.