Branding on plywood-need to remove?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mariobrothers88, Jul 8, 2021.

1. mariobrothers88

mariobrothers88 Senior Member

Hi guys the local marine plywood is made by this Chinese manufacturer called consmos and they have their branding all over one side of the plywood. Do I need to remove this branding before I put fiberglass and epoxy over it or can I just fiberglass and epoxy directly over it? See attached photo

Thanks for any advice or input!

Attached Files:

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Remove.

man, that sux

3. mariobrothers88

The store says it's a plastic protector that's important for the protection of the wood and I shouldn't remove it. Can I fiberglass and epoxy over this plastic protector? I can remove it pretty easily with a planer but I'm worried about taking too much of the wood and exposing the inner plies. This is what it looks like after planing.

Attached Files:

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Horse pucks.

It must be removed.

Don't believe me? Test it. Bond a piece of 2x4 on edge, not end to a piece of scrap plywood and a piece to the plastic marketing materials. They should be about 4-6" long chunks.

Then wait a day.

Then apply pressure to the bond by hand.

The plastic will either peel or the 2x4 will shear away from the plastic. The wood to wood bond, I can almost guarantee is stronger.

5. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

I wonder whats underneath that plastic. Maybe I'm just getting paranoid in my old age. It's 99.99% likely that the plastic is just glued on somehow and not nearly as secure as an epoxy or even a polyester bond. Why would the manufacturer do that?
    It increases their costs and degrades the product.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  6. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Over here, I see that in the hardwares. They call it formboards, sometimes phenolic board. It is a cheap marine plywood with waterproof coating. The coating is part of the plywood and it is meant to be a protective layer when they pour the cement mix. It is part of the plywood.

7. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

These are called overlays here in the states. They can be pretty much anything, but they are intended by the manufacturer to stay there. The purpose is usually cosmetic or to provide improved weather protection during construction - for instance, roof sheeting and floor sheeting might have this.

https://www.murphyplywood.com/pdfs/softwood/HDO_MDO_Product_Guides.pdf

Glen L.com has a thread about it - What The Heck Is MDO Plywood - Glen-L.com https://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1185

MDOs and HDOs are quite a bit more expensive than regular ext grades.

8. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

I'd go direct to the manufacturer, likely through who you bought it from.
    Seems a shame to pay for something you have to remove.
    Doesn't add up.

9. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

It's tough to be sure from a photo but it doesn't look like MDO to me.

10. mariobrothers88

Hey guys this is my other option as a marine grade plywood . It's more expensive than the black consmos marine plywood by about $10. It only comes in 3/4" and they say it's from Canada and it's better quality than the consmos one. But they didn't know the actual species of the wood and they really didn't know what they were talking about. This marine grade plywood looks to be poorer quality with more small voids and defects along the edges than the Chinese consmos one.

11. mariobrothers88

Here are the photos of the more expensive Canadian marine plywood. Due to the poor quality I think it's better to go with the Chinese consmos black one and remove the black plastic with a planer. But which one would you guys go with?

Attached Files:

12. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

It does not sound practical to me. to be planing it off, you will go mad before the job is finished ! Will it peel off ?

13. Mr Efficiency

What you might try, if determined to remove it, is the mesh sanding discs that can be fitted in larger sizes to a 7" sander/polisher, if the plastic is softer than the wood, it might work, but if the other way round, no. Someone may know the proper description of this 3M.jpg

14. Mr Efficiency

The beauty of it, is that there is no gouging or scarring of the surface, but like I say, if the plastic is hard, probably not going to work.

15. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Roseburg?

You need to buy a sheet of each and test the Chinese stuff for bond like I said, epoxy a 2x4 about 6" long to the facing. Wait 24 hours and try to break it off. More likely than not, the 2x4 will either peel the plastic or off the plastic, neither is great.

for the Canadian brand, small voids are typical and no big deal, but the stuff must pass a boil test...hard boil in water for 30 minutes and make sure the glue hasn't failed

if you decide one is not what you want, use it for cabin settee out of the elements..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.