Manoeuvrability catamaran

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sizzurp, Apr 12, 2010.

1. sizzurp

sizzurp Junior Member

I'm designing a workboat for the northsea. Dimensions: LOA 17 m, BOA 6.5 m, speed of more than 20 knots.

I would like to hear your thoughts about the manoeuvrability (at low speeds) of a catamaran versus a monohull.

2. Alik

Alik Senior Member

At low speeds cats have excellent maueverability due to bigger distance between engines, and ability to reverse the engines. They just need different driving technique compared with monos.

At high speeds - yes, cats have bigger turning radius.

3. sizzurp

sizzurp Junior Member

Thank you Alik.

I know cats are generally harder to maneuver in high wind speeds because of the smaller underwater ship.
    But why do they have a larger turning circle? They drift more?

4. Typhoon

Typhoon Senior Member

They have a larger turning circle at speed because they have more lateral resistance than say a planing monohull.
    If you put small permanent skegs on the hulls near the shafts, cats gain a lot more manouvreability.
    But as said above, low speeds, cats win, especially if you put the rudders nice and close to the props as well.

Regards, Andrew.

5. Alik

Alik Senior Member

I never experienced problems with manoeuvring in wind, though I admit that there is some effect.

Lager turning circle is due to group of factors: higher inertia, higher hydrodynamic damping of turning motion, etc. Actually cats possess about double hydrodynamic damping compared with monohull craft.

Recently I have presented a paper on catamaran design at CPBS, there is some data on turning diameter of catamarans.

6. sizzurp

sizzurp Junior Member

Thank you for the explanation!

Can i find your paper somewhere on the internet? Sounds really interesting.
    (Sorry, don't know what CPBS is)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.