Brainstorming about yacht design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SViau, Feb 23, 2009.

1. SViau

SViau Naval engineer / Designer

Here are different concepts, developped on my own, based on several guidelines such as energy saving, natural light, nostalgy, texture and appearance, etc....

I released some time ago several renders on the gallery, but the format is not proper to discussion and commenting I think.

For your commenting ;)

Organik - 80.00m

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cyclop - 89.00m

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maritimus - 119.00m

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SaFe - 59.00m

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Magma - 89.00m

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. yipster

yipster designer

SViau, nice boats, i'm crazy about jaccuzi's on the rear deck :p
    so okay i'll comment before the renders may die like in the gallery
    i like 10 meter up boats but your smallest is almost 60
    the natural lava island has a funny appearance
    yet i feel all drawings are too fashionable
    than again that may be just what your after, the impression
    first one i like best and made me think of the blom + voss yacht
    [​IMG]

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hi Sylvain,
    nice and uncommon. Some of the renderings remind me a bit.......:rolleyes:
    Did you ever work with Martin F. (former F & F) in Antibes?

Regards
    Richard

4. SViau

Thank you for your reactions :)

I'm really working on my own. I started to look at other concepts when friends more involved than me in yachting world have told me that similar ideas where popping up here and there. I was very surprised to see that sometimes renders were very close to each other.

I'm deeply involved by now in naval ships, but the shipyard I'm working in is also building two 60.00m yachts, with very classic design, and it gave me ideas to propose something different, based on my sailing culture and using concepts I like from other fields of technology.

For example, on Organik, it is not obvious but the fin on the top of superstructure is combining 3 functions integrated in one single item : made of composites materials, this fin is housing the latest SATCOM and navigation radar technology, coming directly from naval R&D, and it is also a perfect outlet for dangerous gases coming from fuel cell / battery rooms, far over decks, and can be used as outlet also for HVAC system exhausts.
    A lot of items which can look fashionable at first sight are very often accomodating a real functionnality behind a funny design.

I think it is one of my abilities to design these concepts with enough background and anticipation to be able to build them with very little evolution of their appearance, because I'm coming from engineering field aware of all constraints for structure, naval architecture and safety on board.

My aim today is to find a way out of naval ships. Naval technology is very interesting, but the motivation behind all these lethal ships is not in line with my principles about life, and I would be more than happy to go on peaceful projects.

5. SViau

Just for fun, I declined Magma into Iceberg, and renders are interesting also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A sister-ship of Magma is Obsidienne.
    I changed the textured hull by a smooth hull and classic bulwark line.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here again, the mast is combining all antennas. No need for protruding items on the top of superstructure !

6. SViau

Latest render....

[​IMG]

7. propshaft

propshaft Junior Member

Iceberg and magma is out of my understanding. Why don't You try brick or tile pattern for hull and cabin? Also unusual.

8. SViau

The texture of Magma is made only 50cm over WL - Underwater is smooth.
    I cut into the hull randomly, then I moved sideways each panel, then I closed the gaps. It's a long job, but the result is unique.

I tried also for superstructure, but it looks too much. Impossible to see where is the bow and where is the stern ! I preferred to go with very smooth superstructure to make real contrast between what could be mineral object and what could be done by human hand.

In practice, it can be build quite easily, on a faired steel hull with a recess above waterline, and composite panels with foam core vacuum bagged on it.

9. propshaft

propshaft Junior Member

But what is the sence of this 'magma pattern'? Is it nice???

Nice and unusual are not same.

10. SViau

Nice and unusual are not same. Agreed :) !

This was really brainstorming, and I'm curious to see people reactions.

I've seen this kind of appearance on buildings and modern art museums, but not on vehicules before, so I explored the way...

For time being, I've seen very enthusiastic persons, and very offended also.
    The average is positive anyhow, and personnally I like it.

Arriving in a marina with this kind of ship would for sure attract all attention and interests, I imagine. Maybe more than size considerations.....

11. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

some talent my boy, but in my opine, wasted, what is the use of these boats?, come on use your talent is the real world!!!!!but have some rep points

12. propshaft

propshaft Junior Member

Paint standard glossy-white motoryacht in pink color with light-green spots - will have same kind of attention :D

13. SViau

If somebody wants me on his team, I'm ready right now !!!

I'm not really considered in the company I'm working in today, because I'm involved in engineering of naval ships, and people's mind is sometimes narrow. They cannot imagine I'm able to sketch and design other things than structure, pipes and sharp stealth angles.

I try to escape towards more peaceful boats, and also all frustration of the day is coming out at night when I switch my computer On to modelize all these concepts.

After all, these are only concepts, and it is possible to keep and integrate only one particular aspect of one concept into a more conservative yacht design. Everything is possible - I'm just trying to activate the shaker :)

14. SViau

I think one did it : Guilty..... Very special, isn't it ?

1 person likes this.

15. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

there is nothing organic about these boats

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.