braided on an anchor shackle then dipped it in acrylic paint

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by sdowney717, Jul 11, 2015.

1. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

This one is all nylon as far as I can tell. I have some poly rope and easy to see the difference. Sometimes people get sent wrong items, seen that in plenty of reviews on a variety of Amazon sales.

Interesting that this reviewer says in the description

Where as when I read the description, says nothing like that,
    It does mention suitable for anchor lines.
    What I think is some reviewers review the wrong item, or maybe the seller screwed up and sent the wrong item, because it looks and feels and works so far, just like pure nylon rope does.

Also, IF he reads some finer print and it said that at the time, 'mixed fibers' then why is he complaining?

2. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

I whipped the the last few inches, then was thinking like to cover it so, I had some self fusing tape from the HDepot I bought for a garden hose, but it did not seal the leak. So, I thought I will wrap it on the anchor line. This tape sticks very well only to itself with stretching. I think I will also use it for some electrical splice tape. But for water it is no good.

I also taped the bitter end of the rope.
    Both the whipping and the black fusion tape I like a lot on the anchor line. The fusion tape melts together and forms one solid rubber joint. It is in a way, like heat shrink tubing.

Here is a lousy miscolored cell phone picture of it now. Definitely wont be coming apart after I did this.

Attached Files:

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Do not use acylic paint for such an application, it does not have very much abrasion resistance. the two part polyeurethane is a good bet, and possibly the oil based one part polyeurthane (the water based will absorbe moisture and turn foggy white when wet).

Some kind of liquid glue that pentrates the fibers might also be a good bet. Tightbont III perhaps?

Heat shrink tubing is a good bet too, makes a nice clean end too, but you have to get it on before you make the eye.

That fusion repair tape is supposed to be good for that, pricy last time I saw it, but it is supposed to work for that kind of application.

4. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

My bow anchor, the line at the shackle has a fuzzy look.
    I was thinking it could use a coating too.
    I might use some black PL polyurethane roof flashing caulk on it. That is a waterproof rubber tough coating people use to seal roofs.
    It could be worked into the fibers.
    Or like your saying maybe some oil type paint, but I dont have any.

Do these ropes simply wear from rubbing something or is it more likely wear from pulling, being loaded?

Just updating thread. We used the new anchor line Sunday. It worked great.
    Line hold the boat in some strong currents, so my braid held up fine under that tension from a 37 foot boat.
    I put 5 feet of 3/8 chain to a real small danforth anchor, must weigh about 10 lbs, then the nylon line.
    I use this as a temporary anchor in place thing off the back of the boat which is very convenient. I also found if I anchor off the bow and stern when currents are running, it keeps the boat from swinging.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  5. Charlyipad

Charlyipad Senior Member

I bought a spool on amazon that came from rope king. It is junk frankly, but I could afford it.

6. Nate57

Nate57 Junior Member

I'd think any sort of coating (aside from whipping) is overthinking it. If your afraid your splice will come apart (unlikely) add a tuck or two (longer splice). The important thing is to make the splice very tight to the thimble to avoid it slipping around. A whipping where it joins the thimble works well to avoid that too. It of course will eventually wear. Cut it off and splice anew. If a 3-strand splice such as this takes very long you need the practice anyway. You may also wish to use a stainless shackle here. Upon reviewing your original photo I note that you've spliced it wrong. Best to get someone to show you (or maybe google?).

7. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

yes, it is not perfect splice, I know that. I dropped a few tucks in the wrong spots. But it is ok, good enough. It is longer than needed and it will never bear much weight. It is tight to the thimble.

The anchor chain, I had some 3/8 plated chain, no galvanised handy, so I spray painted with grey primer, just to keep rust off the hands. I figure it will be ok for the small amount of time it gets used in the sea. Using that chain on that little anchor really helps it dig in and hold.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I don't see the need to reinforce the splice over normal whipping. I think skins, coatings or covering of any kind will just promote a fine living space for little beasties and moisture. Commercial fisherman use stainless "hog rings" to seize the line around the thimble. It's not pretty, but works well. They might whip all or part of the seizing, to allow better feed into a cutlass, but most of the time this part of the rode is hanging in space.

9. rayman

rayman Senior Member

I would suggest you learn to splice correctly and then you will not have any hassle's. And don't mix galvanised with stainless fittings, even out of the water.
    Don't go making up names comrade,
    a shackle is a shackle and a thimble is a thimble and so a splice is a splice.
    braid is a type of rope except when in a girls hair
    just saying' in the nicest possible way.

10. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Just leave the ends to fray like everyone else in the world does.
    The tuffs will keep the ends from working through the splice and all is well.

Don't worry about abrasion resistance- when the gear gets too worn (far side of long time from now) just cut it back and resplice the eye or toss the whole mess and replace.

11. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

used it this weekend in a current and it holds ok. The little anchor most of the time manages to dig in ok. I use this off the back of the boat for convenience, like when we anchor to fish or eat. I imagine has had a few hundred pounds at most on the line.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.