bracket issue

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tonchido, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

So there is/was sand put in the bow, how, in bags ? And is still there ?

2. tonchido

tonchido Junior Member

yea,in bags,and still is there,until tomorrow,if i only knew,i would took it out last summer,and not drive it around with me,blind passanger,talk about boat design,and its like 300 kg,it was not done in factory but by first owner,somebody told him thats a good idea,he didnt even try before to drive empty,but still i think bracket shouldbe corrected

3. Mr Efficiency

Putting sandbags in planing boats is a bit of a desperate act, sometimes excusable in lightweight tiller steered boats with one person aboard, but not with your boat. Take them out and start again.

4. Mr Efficiency

This situation reminds me of a stage-play called "The Summer of the Seventeenth Doll", this could be known as "The Summer of the Seventeen Sandbags" ! :p

5. Mr Efficiency

Don't touch that pod until you unburden the boat of the "ballast", imo. I have to say, just looking at it in the photo, it did not look that bad, but I just thought it might look worse, "in the flesh". It still might be a problem at higher speeds. But, 300 kg of sandbags is ridiculous.

6. tonchido

tonchido Junior Member

but isnit obvious that pod angle is not correct,cose now the boat is out of sea and to try without and than work on pod i will need to already spend a lot of money,for truck with lifting crane,i dont have a boat trailer

7. Mr Efficiency

If there really was that much weight placed in the bow, well forward, the only reason would be to reduce the running trim angle, so you have two things acting to do that, the weight in the bow, plus the 'hook' in the bracket/pod. Little wonder it is ploughing. I would say if you are content to cruise at 25 knots, getting rid of the ballast might be enough, if you want to run at 35 knots, the bracket/pod is likely going to be a problem, the change in direction of the running surface right aft, will really kick in. Fix the pod, and if you then have too much bow lift, you can always apply in-trim on the motor. But whatever you do, carrying sand around is not ideal.

8. tonchido

tonchido Junior Member

well for me its definetly not about speed,but i wanna gain maximum bow lift,cose i think the water spray would be better directed away from boat,i wanna do the bracet in a way if it is terrible wrong i can just fiberglassit back the same way,the guy who put sand didnt even tried the boat before,i just want to fill outboard trimm can effect the bow position

9. Mr Efficiency

Get rid of the sand and the downturn in the bracket, you then have the option of using power trim to get the boat running more level, or if that isn't enough, fit trim tabs. It is not desirable to have an in-built trim tab, which is what that bracket/pod is, because it narrows the band of speeds the boat is happy with, and is also potentially a problem running down-sea.

10. tonchido

tonchido Junior Member

there was 5 bags,arund 200 kg,i took it out,but what now

11. Mr Efficiency

I can't offer any more, someone else might have an idea, but they seem shy at the moment !

12. tonchido

tonchido Junior Member

so we are cutting bracket to a 12 or 14 degree angle upward,ill post pics of progress,so if someone have a better idea please tell before its too late

13. Mr Efficiency

You have to consider the height of the engine on the bracket, if you cut it, the engine will have to go up, maybe more than can easily be done.

14. tonchido

tonchido Junior Member

why you think so,cose i thought cavitation plate should be in line with hull,no matter of bracket,so i thought to cut bracket and than just make sure hull and cavitation plate is in line

15. Mr Efficiency

So you intend to cut the bottom of the pod, at an angle if 12-14 degrees ? That will mean your motor is now too deep, and the leg will drag badly, because the water level will now rise, probably a couple of inches, behind the boat. No good. Look at the mount bolts of the outboard, and see how much room you have got to raise, the engine, by using the different hole settings. If you are on the top hole already, you can't raise it without making other alterations. You really need several holes to spare, as it stands now.