bpyhullgen silver bullet 4.8

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by zukobo, May 6, 2021.

1. zukobo

zukobo Junior Member

Reducing the ribs above the waterline is a great idea.
    To be honest I'll probably just borrow my friends ~80lb (about 1kW) trawling motor to start with.
    I had thought about an outboard motor or something like that with but the way the interior space is enclosed I don't really want gas fumes in there. I could have had a separate compartment with a blower but for this build keep it simple.

I have seen some commercially available trawling motors that are 160lb thrust they say equivalent to about 7hp - this could be interesting.

I don't have any speed requirement and haven't done any analysis on drag or power required. Based on 1.35 x waterline length calculation the "hull speed" should be a bit over 5kt.

For starting I'll take it to a lake with no current on a calm wind day and try with my friends trawling motor... If I can leisurely navigate a mile or two and camp on the water the objective is complete.

Revisiting this before going on a river with any sort of current or longer journeys will be necessary.

2. Dejay

Dejay Senior Newbie

According to hullcalc.xls you should be able to get going a 5 knots with 674 watts. Which is probably a bit optimistic but doesn't sound too bad. I would have thought the weight would make a bigger difference.

3. zukobo

zukobo Junior Member

I've never heard of hullcalc.xls - do you have a link or reference to where I can learn more about hullcalc.xls?

4. Dejay

Dejay Senior Newbie

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.