Boxy Fisher Catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Fanie, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Last picture on the barometer.

You can see the weather is lifting again. The fish would probably start to byte again

Attached Files:

2. dialdan

dialdan Junior Member

Hi Fanie
    Thats really great it works a treat . As for me knowing something you don,t , I don,t thinkso , I am an old fart , anything I do know is all old hat no longer applicable or so I kept being told by all those around me .
    Your baro histogram reminds me of the WORM , a wriggly line that runs along the bottom of our tv screen displaying audience reaction to a politician during his pre election speech , I find the WORM a lot more entertaining .:D
    Cheers n Beers
    Al

1 person likes this.
  3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

You hold on to that ! It got you this far.
    The new fancy stuff does make it easier, but there are things money cannot buy ;) and as for age, none of us are that far behind you.

4. masalai

masalai masalai

I would guess that on the last image from your met service, the left range figures adjust to enhance the visibility by displaying the full range in the display so if what was on the graph was only between 1020 and 1025 that would show as full range, whereas if a low/trough came through the range spread in the graph would change to show 1020 to 980 or whatever needed to be shown in the full height of the display... Could that be done with yours? - - That way, even small variations would stand out and prompt one to have a closer look to see what the range was... Apart from that tweak =- if possible, as is is most useful base... and beats any analogue device...

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Fanie, are you in the pay of BD? please put that stuff there as all the respondents seem to be there also... and the server is a little closer to where you are :D :D

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Mas. what is BD ??

The range you see on the barometer graph remains 1000mb to 1040mb, it does not vary.

The reason is I want to see by just looking at it where it is, low, middle or high without having to get right up to it to see what the range is.

I can see and read the display from 2m away without problems, that should be far enough for a boat.

I have followed the pressure and I can say the 20 hour seems quite sensable. We had a low yesterday and through today it kept quite steady. It's making a dive again now, we'll see how far it's going to go. If it goes below the 1000mb one of you must please come fetch me :D

7. masalai

masalai masalai

BD is HERE....

My feeling is that the direction - and persistence in that direction - is the key information, - - as that suggests that "change" is on the way, - and the worm pointing up means fine weather is coming. - and the other way implies rain, storms and worse if it continues down... - - Holding horizontal suggests "what you got now, is what you get, and no change"... the big number gives the status, the line gives the trend - - I feel that the clearer that direction the better and numbers do not matter there (in the graphic) more important is the trend...

8. Richard Atkin

Richard Atkin atn_atkin@hotmail.com

Hi there Fanie. Very cool how you can build your own electronics. I agree with Mas. If you narrow down the range on your barometer, you won't be guessing the future so much. You predicted the low was bottoming out, but when I looked at your graph, it didn't look so obvious to me. Your graph is a very good indicator of the past - but it should be designed to show the future :D

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

In this case the past does predict the future a bit !

I've been watching it for the last few days, and I think it is quite ok like it is.

Read Richard Wood's experience when he was on Elipse... Yes the episode where the hot US chick picked him up :D

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

The roto jig parts and I've assembled the first two sections.

Attached Files:

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Slowly.... :( Joining the 4th piece tomorrow. Arms getting thin. I'm losing weight though. The welding is hot and I sweat like a river. Not nice now but it will be nice when it's done. I can feel the hulls on the water already...

8 pieces 1m200 each = 9m600, then the cone still has to be added.

Attached Files:

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

You know what Adam's first words to Eve was when they got kicked out of paradise and he got his first ******** -

Stand back ! I don't know how big this thing is going to get !

Well, this thing is getting bigger also. I can fit one more section to it and then I have to accept the 'open door' policy :rolleyes: to stick the point out there.

Attached Files:

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

The main body part of the jig is almost done. I have some more welding to do, hopefully I'll get that done tomorrow.

I'm still waiting for the cone to be delivered. That will be the last of the body parts. If that's in place I can fit the axle's.

The PVC canvas is to keep moisture off the jig, it looked like rain earlier. If I didn't have the PVC it would have been pouring by now :D

Attached Files:

14. Alex.A

Alex.A Senior Member

Do you have pics posted somewhere of what the finished cat is going to look like?

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Alex, no not yet.

There's going to be two hulls and two main beams connecting them. If you look at any day sailor then that is basically what you will see for a start. I'm going to try and get the first hull set done in a month or two. I have lots to do and prepare yet so just be patient for a bit.

The closest I can refer you to look at is the cat2fold (google) for now, but there are lots of things that is going to be very different from theirs.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.