Boxy Fisher Catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Fanie, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Richard Atkin

Richard Atkin atn_atkin@hotmail.com

Hi again Fanie. I haven't given up. My boat design is ready to be finished by an engineer. Here's a link to some pics. Mas was right when he suggested I should go for a mono. It's more suited to my requirements.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/materials/non-cored-fibreglass-panels-instead-ply-28351-3.html

It will always be sailed with the keel fully lowered. I re-designed the lifting mechanism for the keel so that it slides down with the keel and completely disappears under the seats when the boat is underway (much better than my detachable version). There will also be a sliding 200 kg lead ballast in the aft cabin which will work better than water ballast, and I reduced the keel bulb to 200 kg. Those are the only changes since I posted those pics. I have been satisfied with every part of this boat for many months so I can definitely say this is the design for me.
    2 freestanding wingmasts. 33 ft LWL. Can be rigged in less than 5 minutes. Takes 8 adults safely. Self-righting and unsinkable. Heels less than a typical mono. Can sit up in bed in fore and aft cabins, and proper sitting room in helmsman's cabin. Can erect a sun shade over the cockpit while underway. Solid fibreglass hull.
    I'll be using boatbuilders in the US when I'm ready.

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I had a brief look at your link. Good luck, although I'm not the best mono sailboat fan there is :D If it will make you happy, then go for it ! Finish the thing now and sail it to the US. You'd get plenty of singing done along the way :D

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Chet Atkins performs "Hawaiian Wedding Song"

Eh Hoyt, is that OUR mr Atkins ???

5. hoytedow

Nope, just one of the best guitar pickers of the 20th century.

6. hoytedow

Good night, all.

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I'm still waiting for the jig parts to get done :-(

In the mean time I started some of the instruments...

The barometer electronics is done.It shows the current atmospheric pressure
    as well as a 25 hour history between 1000mbar and 1040mbar. The idea is if you look at it you can see if a trend is developing. Will tel you if the weather is turning worrysome and how the fishing is going to be.
    Draws < 12mA

The second is a clock, it will have a few alarms you can set. Repeat alarms like night watch every xx minutes, and alarms at xxhxx so you won't miss an appointment.
    Draws ~ 4.4mA

Attached Files:

8. masalai

masalai masalai

What size are the displays? pity your barometer does not have a bigger range (in the graph instead of the word BAROMETER? at the top..)

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I was thinking the same thing ! I may change it sometime. Good idea.
    The display is 57mm wide. I chose these for the low current they draw with the
    LCD's backlight on.

10. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

and below 1000mbar? Do you just turn off the electronics and pray?
    Brian

11. masalai

masalai masalai

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Under 1000mbar you can expect some really bad weather, you can still see the digital value even if the graph is off scale. Between 120 and 130 is normal, buyond those... you either get squished or sucked out :D

Have made the graph larger, I think I'' make the histogram over a shorter time also. Will repost a picture later.

13. dialdan

dialdan Junior Member

Hi Fanie
    Do you intend to market the barometer or have you built this unit for your own use?
    Al

14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hey Al,

I intend to market it also. The prototypes I keep for my own use, and to do further development on, if it is required.

I'll put up a picture once the histograph has spanned the full width (20hrs) and there was a bit of change in the pressure.

I have a series of instruments I'm busy making. It is difficult to say before they are done if they will be sensible to have, ie the compass. You can get direction from a GPS (one of the units) also, but not if you're not moving.

GPS is for bearing, speed and also time although I'm doing a clock module with repeat alarms and time alarms.
    You can check every ten mins if that tanker moved out of your way :D

Some of the units (compass, wind direction & GPS) I am going to interface with an auto steering, half the stuff is here already. The idea is to use the module of choice to keep your direction for you, maybe speed also. Who says you can't trawl for sport fish from a sailboat ;)

So far I plan to do the hulls this winter. I have a dentist appointment in half an hour, I just bet they are bringing the jig in that time ! Beeeg work ahead.

15. rayaldridge

rayaldridge Senior Member

Not me!

[​IMG]

Seriously, I don't know why more sailors don't fish. You can have all the fun of sailing, plus sometimes that reel starts singing, and you have the added excitement of landing a fish. And then later on, an extremely fresh fish dinner. It's a pleasurable thing from many perspectives.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.