Boxy Fisher Catamaran idea

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Fanie, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I have a piece of 80mm HDPE and made a dummy layup on it to see how it is going to work as a pivot shaft for the cat's beams.

This works exceptionally, the fiberglass makes a zero play housing, the HDPE came loose from the fiberglass quite easily and it rotates as expected.

To sustain the loads on the beams I'll have to use the 120mm HDPE rods that can handle 45 tons. Bloody expensive, but I couldn't find anything better.

I will still see if I can find suitable allu, but it seems nobody extrude those. The minimum billit size just makes it too expensive to have a batch extruded, what to do with the excess allu is another question. Anyone else wants some allu for beam pivots ?

Attached Files:

• V1.jpg
      V1.jpg
      File size:
      72.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I tested the series drogue shute I made in the pool. It is going to work quite well. Have to add a weight on the rope end though, it wants to stay on the surface. If the rope's angle is flat enough with the water it will be ok.

I have allocated 40m of anchor rope for the series drogue and 2 x 80m pieces for the anchors.

Did my first bit of splicing... it came out ok I think.

Attached Files:

• V2.jpg
      V2.jpg
      File size:
      154.1 KB
      Views:
  4. masalai

masalai masalai

It will surely improve as you develop the knack, don't forget to regularly roll the progressing splice on the thigh of one of Manies crew, that helps to smooth it (the splice - - and sometimes the obliging crew?) out and remove slight bumps in the splice :D:D:D:D and can be quite enjoyable until someone jealously observes the action.....?????

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Now to find a thimble to fit in there... :rolleyes:

Good idea Mas, if only Manie keeps his word about the 'crew' he's going to get I could tie them down down below... they always try and get away after the first twenty or so times, don't know what's with wiemen, they always accuse one of thinking of only one thing which we all know is not true. I for one think about fishing from time to time as well.

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

The little tri is almost as far as I want to go with it. Need to finish the rudder, daggerboard and a few other small things. Then a few tests with it and if it comes out ok I'm slowly starting on the cat.

Pic 1 is the little tri painted. Sparayed 2l 2k on it and it's not even painted everywhere. The white colour defenately has added some size to it... comapre to the wall behind it. I wish, should have made it 8m or 9m instead of 5m500.

Pic2, cut these last night... The funny holes hooks into the hull sides for the trampoline and is to unhook the trampoline from the hull when it gets folded.

and pic3 the first trampoline is up. It's anchovis net, a bit stretchy. I have 50mm webbing (like safety belt), considering putting some of that under the trampoline to make it less stretchy. Any comments ?

I took pic 3 in the dark without a flash, there is a CF lamp to the right hence the shading, but it's not nearly as light there as it looks on the pic. Amazing what technology can do.

The white is much cooler in our sun. While unpainted the glass burned you it gets that hot. The white is Toyota's taxi white for the SA guys :D

Attached Files:

• T3.jpg
      T3.jpg
      File size:
      234.5 KB
      Views:
    • T2.jpg
      T2.jpg
      File size:
      128.4 KB
      Views:
    • T1.jpg
      T1.jpg
      File size:
      207.4 KB
      Views:
  7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Daggerboard sheeth made and glassed in place. Will finish by the morrow.

It's on the side so it takes up less space inside the hull.

Attached Files:

• SH0.jpg
      SH0.jpg
      File size:
      125 KB
      Views:
    • Sh1.jpg
      Sh1.jpg
      File size:
      173.9 KB
      Views:
    • SH2.jpg
      SH2.jpg
      File size:
      159.7 KB
      Views:
  8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Some more pics

Bucket with ice to cool the resin down. In the scourching heat we have here it is the only way to prolong work time a bit.

The trampoline (anchovis net) unhooked from the hull

My cat and an in action photo.

The daggerboard. It is about 20mm thick, and I am surprised at how stiff it came out.

The hull as far as it would tilt with the folding hinges.

The rudder as it would be transported on trailer.

Attached Files:

• A1.jpg
      A1.jpg
      File size:
      54.9 KB
      Views:
    • A2.jpg
      A2.jpg
      File size:
      162.3 KB
      Views:
    • A3.jpg
      A3.jpg
      File size:
      53.8 KB
      Views:
    • A4.jpg
      A4.jpg
      File size:
      52.5 KB
      Views:
    • A5.jpg
      A5.jpg
      File size:
      99.4 KB
      Views:
    • A6.jpg
      A6.jpg
      File size:
      174.8 KB
      Views:
    • A7.jpg
      A7.jpg
      File size:
      103.4 KB
      Views:
  9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

This is my 2nd last post to this thread. I'll start a new thread when I start on the boxy.

The little tri will get a few attachments yet, but I'm going to use it for a couple of tests and fish from it a bit.

The three trips I made with it so far was quite nice, except that the wind dies down when I reach the water's edge. Desperately want to take her to the sea, I want to experience the windstill on the ocean :D I never was on the sea and had it wind still. The wind is always blowing there ;) Besides, it's baracuda time now.

Thanks for everyone taking the time and supporting, as well as your patience.

I'll make one more post to say how the stiff mast and the other features held up.

Attached Files:

• Tr1.jpg
      Tr1.jpg
      File size:
      101.3 KB
      Views:
    • Tr2.jpg
      Tr2.jpg
      File size:
      246.2 KB
      Views:
  10. masalai

masalai masalai

Enjoy and have fun, may all who sail (and motor) catch the fish they desire and return to port safely....

11. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Barracuda or snoek :confused:

BTW, mag jy en jou gesin 'n geseende kersgety en voorspoedige 2009 beleef...

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Dankie Wynand, ek wil egter eers sien wat ek vir 'n kerspersent van jou kry voor ek sulke goeie wense aan jou terugstuur :D

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Single handed folded the tri. This is a wee-wee and defenately worth the effort of making the beams foldable. Everything stays together and is much easier to handle.

Loaded on the trailer. For a moment I thought it was going to work out by fluke to just fit right on the rollers and the skids, but it wasn't to be. The hull was lifted about 76mm above the rollers, so some planks goes in there.

The mast also fits nicely, as does the outboard. Defenition of an outboard is a portable motor and the 2hp truely is at 10kg :D I still want to see somone carry his 200 'portable outboard' ;)

Tomorrow is Christmas, blessings to you all, and have a decent rest up. After Christmas we've got some hard sailing :rolleyes: and testing to do.

We're visiting my brother tomorrow. He bought some sosaties to braai and my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Oh, the lamp pole in the background has been broken for years - the light still comes on but swings around and looks like a light tower in the wind :D

Attached Files:

• Aw.jpg
      Aw.jpg
      File size:
      180.5 KB
      Views:
    • Aw1.jpg
      Aw1.jpg
      File size:
      184.6 KB
      Views:
    • Aw2.jpg
      Aw2.jpg
      File size:
      267.7 KB
      Views:
    • Aw3.jpg
      Aw3.jpg
      File size:
      194.9 KB
      Views:
    • Aw4.jpg
      Aw4.jpg
      File size:
      152.6 KB
      Views:
  14. masalai

masalai masalai

That looks like a mighty fine xmas present you made for yourself, Happy Christmas to all in Saffa and fun fishing.... We have some Saffa friends staying with us, Peter and Alet, who send their best wishes to all...

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Thanks Mas, seems they are in good hands there ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.