Boxy Fisher Catamaran idea

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Fanie, Oct 28, 2007.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

Fanie, Vent your spleen - that is OK... I may be a bit lazy - age thing, Zombie? - also ageing process, - That part is the easy part - I have perfected the zombie thing (fairing using the torture board...) - but eye/hand coordination is the issue and chemical allergy (overexposure as a dick-head farmer in younger "bullet-proof" days)... I demand a skilled worker to ensure quality work, not necessarily a mirror finish but to achieve a strong, leak-proof and consistent build for inherent safety and durability of the design criteria. - I would be forced to sack myself????.... I will also fulfil the role of gopher and pilot (go for this and pile it there).... (American business call it something like "PA" and "Logistics"?)

Has your mast got a "sail track"? in the design for me with twin genoas (to each bow and a blade jib/storm sail midships I will be using a cleanskin as also no main also being more of a motor-sailer....

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Some of the eating houses advertise lazy aged steaks... any resemblence to you :D

Yeah yeah we all want that woman

You're into condoms now ? I like the in-her-ent you used on the sly... no, I didn't miss it :D Dirty old bugger :D

The mast has a sail track, but I still plan to use the sail I have - that's for the little tri. When I've fixed it up to an easier user friendly :rolleyes: setup I'll take er fishing. Boy, that will bugger the elements up. Usually when I go fishing the wind blows. When I go fishing the wind stops. Can't wait to see what's going to happen now :D

3. masalai

masalai masalai

When you go fishing the wind blows AND stops ? - - WTF ???? That is woman talk. - - - Make up your mind Man....

Sorry miss-spelling - - - - "in-her-rent", which is wrong as I don't pay, I get paid.... as a guru to teachers.... (a know-it-all :D:D:D:D) - - maybe I meant in-his-rant? - but this is the wrong thread for that except a pirate? hehehe

Have a good day.... May your preferred deity shower you with blessings...................

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

:D Happens to be true, when I fish the wind blows, when I sail the wind stops. Wanna see what's going to happen when I do both ;)

Making some changes to the way I'm making the beams. Have to construct a foam cutter first though, ordered the wood today, big pieces will be delivered tomorrow. Take a day or so to assemble.

I was right on the hardner, the *****'s brought me the wrong stuff. They will take it back and supply me the correct hardner. No, I'm not going to swear again. Had a chat with the supplier's boss, they may be more carefull in the future :rolleyes: next time they pay.

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Fanie this was the offending line "...Boy, that will bugger the elements up. Usually when I go fishing the wind blows. When I go fishing the wind stops....."

"When I go FISHING - - the wind blows - - the wind stops" ?????? hehehehehehe Huh?

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I got some planks and stuff... started assembling a foam cutter today.

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Started making the series drogue. First cone attempt. Used Jack Pack's JP739 for glueing the PVC canvas.

I have to admit the stuf sticks un be friggin lievable. I made a bit of a bugger up when heating the glue area in heating a small section then pressed them together, you don't get to line it up very consistent hence the folds there.

Will try a different technique tomorrow, if it works the glue strip should be much neater. I'll use this one as a ginuea pig... get someone with a 200 to break it, see where the weak spots are.

The little drogues will be approx 500mm dia. I don't want to use one big one, I like the idea of the multiple small ones where you can let as many out as you need to, and I think they should be easier to handle as well.

Attached Files:

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Have you thought of "recovery" and forces needed to get stuff back on board (collapsing system?)

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

If you have a bunch of them out the force is going to be like at anchor. I think a winch should do it but I haven't worked detail out. Could start the petrol motors to get some slack seems the easiest.

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Got the little tri's laser cut brackets for the arm hinges. For a change the laser cut guy didn't use his own 'discression' and modified the brackets to what he thought is right.

Now I must get the bloody beams resin infused. It's been a week, I could have built another boat :(

Attached Files:

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Time only flies.

I vacuum infused the little tri's beams, they came out quite well. The folding of the beams is underway, it is now only a matter of getting the beam guides glassed into place and if all is lined up I can fit the guide arms.

Attached Files:

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Too dark to work outside so I started making the daggerboard. Plywood with two 10mm foam sheets bonded with resin. It tapers down a bit so after I've glassed it I'll use it as a form for the sheeth.

Couldn't finish that either, the wife complained EVERYONE can hear the sander run, and I was thinking how about the guys in Cape Town... they hear it too :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Half the tri's arm brackets are up. I have since taking the photo fitted the rear ones as well. I can now stand in the centre hull and fold the ama's in and out. A bit difficult since they are sticky on the lawn.

I may attempt to move the rig to the pool and see if the ama's fold in high enough

Attached Files:

• tri6.jpg
      tri6.jpg
      File size:
      81.2 KB
      Views:
  14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Currently raining here so I thought I'd put up a few pics.

I made a slot where the mast gets fitted in the easier way. Especially when the wind :rolleyes: blows.

Started spraying the little tri.

I got an outboard for these no wind spells. Not sure how I'm going to keep that motor under control with just a tiller arm, I'm sure one would need at least a hydraulic steering for it.

This morning I noticed the wind was up. Took me about 20 seconds to get the sail up and the mast in. Pulled the rope and the sail opened beautifully as always and guess what. Yes, no friggin wind. So at this stage I don't know if this is going to be a sailing or a motorized little trimaran :( It really seems like the wind dies down wherever I take this tri.

The tri arms can now fold up and down. It is much easier and quicker than to handle loose parts to assemble. The hull does want to tilt when the arms are not up or down, but on this size tri it is not a peoblem to handle. If I stand inside the hull I can hinge the ama's in and out without any problem and still keep the hull upright. I'm sure there could be an easy way to keep the hull upright, but haven't given it any thought.

Once I have the tri on the water I'll check to see how stable it is going to be folded but with the mast up. It's too wide and heavy to get it to the pool.

The new mast is a lot stiffer than the previous one. I can hang with my weight on the sail stay and it gives just a little, so I suspect it's going to work a lot better.

Attached Files:

• u1.jpg
      u1.jpg
      File size:
      250.8 KB
      Views:
    • u2.jpg
      u2.jpg
      File size:
      111.1 KB
      Views:
    • u3.jpg
      u3.jpg
      File size:
      147.3 KB
      Views:
    • u4.jpg
      u4.jpg
      File size:
      104.7 KB
      Views:

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I plan to use the same idea on the cat to get the masts up. The cat's masts will have a pivot in it though, but the slot in the hulls would help it to go up streight and it cannot sway sideways even when there's wind.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.