Boxy Fisher Catamaran idea

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Fanie, Oct 28, 2007.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

http://images.google.com.au/images?...&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title (blue ringed octopus are tiny and very toxic - DEADLY)... irikanji (probably mis-spelt) are tiny jellyfish with long trailing thingies that have nasty toxins that also kill and are worse than the box jellyfish bit about the same size....

You are welcome to try to teach the crocodiles to dive - - death of the teacher is guaranteed.... Crocodile Dundee was playing with a plastic one (not a real live one and the plastic one nearly killed him)....

These things do not rely on logic, just that they have lived as a species since before the dinosaurs died out....

2. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Mas, I can vouch for the validity of the photos Fanie posted from the chain downwards - it is indeed not photoshopped like most of Manies photos :D

Nice anchor, had the privilege to touch it and it will make the Dixie in my shop proud. Serious buggers those, looks like Fanie is planning to catch biiig ones to be anchored like that:confused:

3. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks Wynand, I presume by that you mean only the chain, shackles & attached anchors?

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

:D Next time I'll let you hold the anchors a while, ok Wynand :D

I spent a bit of time between 02h00 and 02h30 getting the vacuum injection pumps power connected with a switch box and tested this morning. Drawing 80kPa there... not perfect but it should be ok. I can tell you if you land up in a vacuum like that you'll bust right open. Holding my finger on the 6mm hole hurts.

Now I'm looking for something to suck out :D

My anchor's aren't that big ? I saw a picture of a tanker and their anchor was slightly bigger. Last thing one wants is to get the anchor dragged off a spot when the fish bite ;)

Attached Files:

• Vac.jpg
      Vac.jpg
      File size:
      141.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Looking at your octo link, here's some replies to one picture -
    Tbh, in one of the pictures it looked a bit like our button spiders, but not as big though :D

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Maybe it was the crocks that killed all the dyno's out to extinction.

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

The trampoline anchovis net was delivered today, as was the rope. One of the ropes was incorrect, they'll replace.

Uncle Manie said he'll go to the hot dippers next week and take my stuff with. Very generous.

Mas, pictures next time :D

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

To put things in perspective as to what is going on -

I'm building a 10m trailable, sailing, motorised catamaran. Nothing else, even if I say otherwise :D

This is a big project, for me anyway. Got tired of our stuff getting stolen each time we go fishing. I don't like ski-boats but I liked the sailing cats right away.

Once launched, you get on the boat and come back when you have to, nobody to rob you, you can sleep in it and it would be fun to just have a nice holiday for a change, sailing, fishing, whatever.

You can fish up and down the coast all day, and use no fuel. You're not limited to one marina which btw is rediculously expensive here. I can even fish any of our dams with it.

I'm new to sailing, so the easiest is to build a small trimaran to get some sailing experience and to test and play with Brian Eiland's aft mast sail setup. I got a liking in the aft mast rig, where the main sail is like a big jib, simplicity and can it lends itself the best so far for control when we fish.

I'm also new to vacuum infusion, so the little tri is my training course. I'm about to redo the beams and fix them permanently to the ama's with a hinge for an easy folding unfolding setup, a new much stiffer mast, a dagger board, a new rudder, and a trailer amongst other things. Bit of a facelift.

The 10m cat hulls has to trailer side by side on a trailer, and they can be 1m200 each to be legally towed. The huls once launched has to be drifted appart and the beams locked, much like 'Cat 2 Fold', but I don't like their beams, so I'm working on my own.

The next challenge is I want a cabin which would trailer on the second trailer. We're usually either 2 to four vehicles going, and a cabin is very nice to have especially in bad weather. I don't like tents, so a cabin it is.

Couple of challenges in all this, but I'm sure it is possible. There are a few small details and problems that has to be worked out yet.

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Go for it Fanie, Please don't forget the photos (even the ****-ups as we all learn by mistakes), and at someone-elses we can laugh, whereas ones own is hurtful sometimes - Just think of your net mates - - we need cheering up whilst things delay our own progress.,....

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Well Masalai, it seems you get your wish. First attempt, got a leak I couldn't find it - some f where right where the resin gets sucked up. I sealed eveything over twice - couldn't find the f leak ! Tested ok before I started .

F it pisses me off if I do everything right and it fucks up. Where's Butch and SH so they can help me f swear :(

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Sorry Fanie, I didn't mean to "jinx" you but where are the pics???? - - Had a chat with Safie earlier - he watches quietly..... is well, - and 'secretive' at the moment????? and no word from Frosty yet....

Just go berserk with the keys above the letters without shifting for the numbers - we will know what you mean.... Post a picture and ask for expletives as if they (the readers) had that happen?..... :D:D:D:D

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

For one I can tell you there's no way in hell you can infuse a large hull with the hardner I used. I asked for a slow cure, they sent me what is supposedly MKP2, it cures as fast as any other fast curing hardner - unless it is some DFI illitterate **** that fetched the wrong stuff, this Ill sort out with Harvey's on Monday. I used 1% hardner per volume, 10ml per liter, which is below the recommended min of 1.5% per volume. It is also in the middle of the night so it's not the heat either.

The top and bottom spiral lacing is only 200mm apart. I got the impression the 1/4 volume resin that did make it in has a difficult time flowing through the glass, but that could be due to the f leak. There are 8 layers glass, then peel ply and spiral top and bottom. Vacuum was at 75kPa all the time. I have 8mm hoses.

The spiral lacing left a groove of resin on the glass despite the peel ply, seems the peel ply tried to pull up around the spiral. If this is how it works I can just as well leave it off and use for hand layups, so far it seems pretty useless.

I have stripped everything down, still couldn't see where the leak is.

Anyway, got a surprise when I opened the resin drum, some stalag ****. Wonder how they came about.

Got the other mast, finally. It's 7.5m long and somewhat larger than the ~50mm 4 in one microlite allu sleeved mast I used to now. It's very dirty, just have to clean it up.

Attached Files:

• Tits.jpg
      Tits.jpg
      File size:
      170.3 KB
      Views:
    • Mast.jpg
      Mast.jpg
      File size:
      210.9 KB
      Views:
  13. masalai

masalai masalai

Fanie, I can only admire your pioneering spirit and your strength and intestinal fortitude in battling against adversity... May your preferred deity/s doubly bless your efforts....

I hope when I start I pick a knowledgeable builder from those recommended and not some stupid ****..... (I definitely lack the confidence, skills and physical strength to do a build solo)....

If that tin had the slow hardener - It looks like VERY OLD stock that got mixed with va1ium - - consider offering to decorate their showroom with the contents else replace and add extra cash to replace that good which was damaged by application of defective product..... - just joking...

14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Mas,

Sorry about the tantrum this morning, just needed to air some out. Couldn't throw the house so... :D

I'm still PO though. Need some more time to sulk over it.

That is an old can I opened. It's got a very nice tap on to drain the resin from so I use it over and over. The new resin looks new.

Cleaning the new mast - in the rain. Saves me having to rinse it off :D Now 2/3rds done...

Attached Files:

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I think you're just too lazy and in your comfort zone. There's not much in building a boat, just a lot of work (walking back and forth) and probably the most difficult is to keep thinking. When I do something and mostly it's boring routine crap I try to switch off, very frustrating doing the same thing over and over like a zombie.

Should give it a go, it's very satisfying to do it yourself.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.