BowSprit

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Butch .H, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

I have a awful bowsprit arrangement on my boat(not a yacht just yet).I think it was designed and fitted by the Mad Hatter.I would like to change this arangment to somthing more becoming the old girl.Thanking you all in advance

Attached Files:

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Could you post a side view, some explanation of what you have now, info on boat especially?
    There are just a few important criteria for bowsprits. The heel must be treated exactly as a sideways mast step. That means a very strong support base. A samson post is traditional. The whisker stays should be below the line of the sprit so that even if the bobstay goes, the whisker stays will function to prevent the sprit bending up.
    Spruce or fir are best for low weight. A solid rod bobstay of stainless or bronze won't chafe an anchor rode as much as chain or wire. Just iodeas I've used.

Alan

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

5. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Thanks Manie.

6. naserrishehri

naserrishehri Senior Member

hi every body
    i m ready to give free plans and body lines drawing of different ships
    and get plans in return.

7. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Alan I have had a look at the structure of the forward parts of the boat and have found no indication of any re-enforced areas adapted for the mounting of a bowsprit.The one in the photo was mounted using four 12mm stainless steel thread bars through 18 mm pine. The pine is about 1m2 and bolted to the frame work(2). I have found very little evidence that this type of boat(Estlander) was ever designed to have a bowsprit.(Manie dont buy one you can have this one). I am going to omit this bowsprit during the re-build no evidence of attachment points for rigging or sail.

Thanks
    Butch

8. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

naserrishehri what boats have you got in mind.

9. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Okay, probably best. A lot of times bowsprits are added to cure weather helm or to make a cutter rig or both. I guess you can look artound and find out how a sister ship sails with the original rig. Good luck.

10. diwebb

diwebb Senior Member

Hi Butch.H
    rather than a fixed bowsprit, you may want to look at a reeving bowsprit supported by a sampson post or bitts on the inboard end, a ring arttached to the forestay tang and a bobstay. You would also need tackles on the outer forestay and bobstay to provide tension when in the deployed condition. This offers some advantages in that the slip length is only the hull length so no additional marina fees, you can adjust the length quite easily just by cutting the bowsprit down or getting a longer pole. The structure required is simpler and easier to design and construct.

All the best with the project.

David

11. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Thanks David food for thought

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.