Boring a hole for a pipe

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by paintbylumbers, Apr 27, 2013.

1. paintbylumbers

paintbylumbers New Member

I am looking for some tips on making a hole for a 1in pipe. I am using the pipe as the pivot point for my centerboard. I have a 1-3/8 bit but it has too much slop. The OD of the Pipe is 1.315in. I am really stuck here and would love some help. Thanks!

2. jonr

jonr Senior Member

Maybe a 1 3/8" hole with a bushing in it.

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Seat the pipe in the oversized hole into thickened epoxy. This is standard practice .

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Bore an over size hole. Cover the pipe with several layers of regular automotive paste wax, where it will contact the yet made epoxy bushing. Jig up the pipe section to be perpendicular to the over size hole. Fill the over size hole with thickened epoxy (a heavy structural mix). After 24 hours, twist and remove the pipe, which will have a perfect, form fitted hole for the pipe.

5. paintbylumbers

Thanks

Thanks everyone! Any ideas on keeping it perfectly square? Possibly clamping it down to one side of the hole? Thanks again!

6. PAR

Yep, seal one side of the hole (a hunk of tape will do). Naturally, you want the hole to be perpendicular, so you can use a drill press drilled block of wood, with good. squared ends as a guide or one of those cheap plastic drill guide thingies if only for a true pilot hole for the hole saw bit.

[​IMG]

They don't cost much and you'll have lots of other uses for it.

7. paintbylumbers

Thanks again!

8. jonr

jonr Senior Member

I dislike the friction that centerboards usually have when going up/down. I wonder if you could bond UHMW-PE film to either it or the centerboard trunk.

9. paintbylumbers

I am cutting up a PE cutting board to make skid plates out of so there is no rubbing inside the centerboard trunk. They are going to be planed down to make a tight fit when the centerboard is fitted.

10. PAR

I do this regularly with my designs or retro fits. I use Teflon sheets, which can be polyurethane'd or epoxied to the inside of the case. They add little weight take up little room and can be peeled out of the case if they wear out or are damaged in some fashion.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.