Gavin Kerr 31 foot yacht? Selecting spinnaker?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by DennisRB, Aug 20, 2010.

1. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Does anyone know how to get in contact with Gavin Kerr? My partner has a 31 foot yacht built and designed by him. Its fractionally rigged and I just want some numbers on the rigging so I can select a correctly sized second hand spinnaker for it. Or what other steps can I take in finding a suitable size range for a used spinnaker?

I'm sure I could just contract a sail maker but that sort of defeats the purpose of looking for a cheap used spinnaker.

Thanks. Dennis.

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

You need to know the hoist (ISP) and the pole length (JSP) for the spinnaker. Generally the pole is the same as the J dimension, but if the boat is underpowered you can go up by about 10 - 20%. Be careful to keep the aspect ratio reasonable.

Take a tape measure and pull it up on the halyard and measure the ISP. The base of I should be the sheerline at the mast.

The SL of the spinnaker should be 0.95*(ISP^2+JSP^2)^0.5 max.
    The SF and SMW should be JSP*1.8 max.

Now seach the used sail bins for something close.

3. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

I tired to give you rep but it says I have to share around first :p

Good tip on the hoisting a tape up the halyard and big help in general. Now let me google some of those acronyms. :D Pole length is easy as it has a pole.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.