Stepped hull and surface drive?

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by Salvatore84, May 13, 2012.

1. Salvatore84

Salvatore84 Junior Member

Hi to everyone!

does someone knows somethin' about the layout surface drive+stepped hull?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Boats, to operate properly, have to be designed as a complete system. To start with, there are surface propellers, which can be attached to several drive systems. This include straight shafts, outboards, I/Os, etc. Stepped hulls vary enormously. They go from the large step like a Thornycraft to multiple little steps that have become fashionable lately.

3. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

If you have to ask then you need an engineer to work with you. Mine you with either one of these it is a little trial and error, lots of engineering to get these working optimally. With both of these on a boat you need a supercomputer and several engineers. Good luck, try a company like Skater race boats.

4. Fastboats

Fastboats New Member

try aeromarine research.

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Getting of the surface !

Steps are a gray area !! its been done a million times !! everyone seems to have they own ideas and theories !! and they all work to varying degrees , i do not know of any hard and fast rules to say if you do this this and this that will be what you will get !!! if there is a magic formular for steps and stepping in differant directions someone somewhere is sitting on it and not sharing !!. .
    At the end of the day it all comes to getting air under the boat so it has minimal wetted area !! As far as i am concerned Tunnel boats do just that !! They fly !!! :D

6. m3mm0s rib

m3mm0s rib Senior Member

Here's a way

Attached Files:

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Thats one hell of a internal framing system !! must have taken some time to plan out and make !!:D

8. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Looks like it is designed to ram other boats...

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Just one thing i hope someone has taken into consideration ! being a boat with a tube rouns the outside they twist and want to flex so hope they bond it together with that in mind !!! Always going places flat out and through any kind of seas and masses amounts of horse power strapped on the back !!:D

10. m3mm0s rib

m3mm0s rib Senior Member

So just when the speed of approaching the 70 node risked cut the boat in two

11. Kestrel

Kestrel Junior Member

No fantasy nor magicians are needed, it's just a matter of physics. Like all physics phenomenons, it must be faced rationally and deeply. Many threads in the forum could be a start point, try this, for example:http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/stepped-hull-resistance-35492.html then, surfing in the web, something can be found, but you'll have to put together a lot of litterature. Up to today, I don't know nothing like a specific compendium on the matter.
    K.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.