twin outboard spacing 34 x 12.5ft Silverton

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by naturewaterboy, Jun 9, 2007.

1. naturewaterboy

naturewaterboy Steel Drum Tuner

I've talked to quite a few people all with different opinions about the effects of engine spacing. There are pros to narrow spacing (faster) and pros to wide spacing (more control at low speed).

I believe that on a hi speed boat, a twin engine boat should have the engines close together. The boat will plane and the props will stay submerged with very little hull in the water.

I'm putting outboards on a 34 ft. sportfisher (built with inboards) with a 12.5 ft beam - kind of a fat boat. I'm putting two 225hp Mercury Optimax on a Stainless Marine 30" setback bracket. The boat will have a displacement of about 12-13,000 lbs. when done. I'm not expecting to get a lot of speed out of it, but I certainly want the best efficiency, as I don't have an oil well in my backyard last time I checked.:D My bracket (I bought a used one) is a 4 engine design, so I can space the engines anywhere from the minimum spacing (about 26" I think) to 72". I'm hoping that if I put them at 72" this won't penalize efficiency. Any opinions on this?

2. naturewaterboy

naturewaterboy Steel Drum Tuner

Stainless marine said I should space them at 72" as it would give better control and I wouldn't notice any performance difference from closer spacing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.