What do people think of this power cat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by catalyst, Oct 8, 2009.

1. catalyst

catalyst Junior Member

Hi.

Originally asked this question in the powerboat section but realise perhaps it is best suited here.

I am in the UK and am looking to buy a commercial power catamaran for fishing. Must be under 10m because of UK fishing licenses, and must be able to carry 2-3 Ton on deck. Not bothered whether inboard or outboard powered as there are pros and cons to both.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I have found a company called BWSeaCat Ltd here in the UK on the web and they seem to have a very promising product for me.
    My question, which has partially already been answered in the other section is, is it any good in terms of its design? Are the claims about efficiency actually acheivable? Am I barking up the wrong tree?
    I like it because of its looks, the way it cuts the water (there are videos on U-Tube), and its build quality. Couple that with the fuel figures and the option of inboard or outboard power and it all sounds promising.
    I however am not an expert on hull design and consequently when something like this comes along I am immediately sceptical.

Can you help me?

Regards
    Bob

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Upload a few pictures Bob.

3. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

4. catalyst

catalyst Junior Member

Hi

Yes that's the one! Not very good at this web stuff.

So now we have the pictures what do you guys reckon about its aesthetics / attributes etc. As I said there is also video on U-tube but I don't know how to put the link on here!

To me, she looks the part and seems to go very well. I have owned various boats in the past and none of them have come close to cutting the water as well as this. I guess I should just bite the bullet and book a trial, but I'd rather have some feedback first from people who know what they're looking at in terms of hull design, so that I know whether the claims are correct or not.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards
    Bob

p.s. Also just realised they are right next door to me in Portchester! Small world. Never heard of them before.

5. Nordic Cat

Nordic Cat Senior Member

She seems to aquat a bit in the video, and this with an empty boat, so what happens when you load her up?

The hulls seem to be completely flat in the aft sections, not what is normally considered optimum for efficiency if the boat isn't planing.

The propeller tunnels - don't know enough about these, but maybe someone else can comment on efficiency losses- if you go for a shaft drive.

Alan

6. catalyst

catalyst Junior Member

Hi

Flat sections are apparently there to stop squatting. I certainly wouldn't say it squats in comparison to other boats I have owned. The same amount of antifoul is visible basically at all times in the videos which leads me to assume she is running pretty flat.
    As for load carrying, I'm no expert but that looks like a lot of bridge deck clearance to me. To be honest, if I'm coming home with 2 or 3 ton of catch on the deck I couldn't really care less if the ride isn't as good as when its light. I'll be thinking of the money!!

Bob

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

A monohull is better for commercial fishing. You can load it more and it will be safer fully laden.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ahhh he's only fishing off Portsmouth and Southsea, not even at sea proper, the isle of White is in the way. Mackerel probably.

But if it was rough though Ide go with a deep draft mono me self.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.