Bow and stern extensions on a 16m Catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by MCourtney, Apr 20, 2020.

1. MCourtney

MCourtney New Member

Hi everyone, I'm just looking for some feedback on whether if extending the Bows and sterns on my 16m( 5.7m wide) Solaris cat would be a worth while project?

The boat sails fine ( 5 to 6 knts in lighter winds around 15knts) at the moment but it would be great to get a little more speed (the sterns dig a little deep at low speed) and easier access to the water while under way. I've attached a rough before and after sketch to give an idea of what I'm thinking.

There's also and idea of moving the backstay. Splitting it to attach to the outside corners of the existing sterns.

The boat weighs in at around 20 tonnes so the thought is to get a little more water line length.

Thanks, Mike

Attached Files:

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum Mike.
    In a nutshell - this would be a very big, complicated and expensive project.
    If you are not sentimentally attached to your Solaris, it might be easier to sell her, and look for a slightly longer and leaner cat?

But if your heart is set on this, have a look at this article by Eric Sponberg re modifications that he designed for the bow of a Freedom class sailing yacht, to give her a bit more buoyancy up forward. If you want to extend your bow (and stern) this article should offer good initial guidance.
    https://www.ericwsponberg.com/wp-content/uploads/case-studies-in-redesign.pdf

BTW, Eric is now retired and has gone off sailing - or rather, he and his wife are currently on lockdown in Bundaberg, Australia.
    Here is a recent article from his wife's blog :
    We Interrupt this Circumnavigation… – Arliss Ryan https://www.arlissryan.com/we-interrupt-this-circumnavigation/

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I'm not sure why they are staying at Bundaberg, I don't think there is any impediment to them cruising along the coast, within the laws imposed by COVID, but it is probably still too early weather wise, autumn cyclones and severe lows are not uncommon right through till June. Still, maybe it isn't "allowed", given that campervan dwellers are being restricted from moving to other "anchorages". A grey area , perhaps.

4. peterbike

peterbike Junior Member

Go for it, in fact I would go longer at the back.
    Sail it up to the phillipines & see these guys at Melvest marine - if they are still in business, can't find a current contact ?

Melvest Marine Inc. http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/136675-melvest-marine-inc/

bajansailor likes this.
  5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

If you feel the thing is bogging down at the stern, and it doesn't "submarine" in a following sea, adding a little at the stern might be the ticket. How much, and how to do, the $64 question.

bajansailor likes this.
  6. MCourtney

MCourtney New Member

Thanks for the feed back! yip as you say a pretty big job. The tricky part is the sentimentality.... how can you not get attached! The other thing is I do appreciate is the solid construction over newer boats and I suppose the price point! So if you threw x at it you might still be well under the price of a newer cat?

7. MCourtney

MCourtney New Member

It performs pretty well in a following sea at the moment. only stops bogging down when you start going over 8 or 9knts. I've got photos of her when she was first launched and she sat a lot higher in the water.... so I suppose due to later customised additions and cruising kit this has added a lot more weight to her.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.