Bow anchoring

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by fallguy, Oct 10, 2020.

1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

148359D8-4D9F-4FE2-BFBC-613ED3795823.jpeg I was told I could anchor with a soft shackle. My bridle is dyneema and very expensive; so I am going to anchor ball at the end of the bridle.

Has anyone used soft shackles?

Of course, I have no chafing guard and probably need to order a couple..

2. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

I would not trust soft shackles for anchoring longer than lunch.

I suggest a short cat tale tied to the bridle eye then bent to the horn cleat.

3. Joseph Guthrie

Joseph Guthrie Junior Member

I have an anchor on each bow. Bruce port CQR starboard. 37' cruising cat. I have weathered 40 knots never set a bridle once . A little dagger board down and she points into the wind.

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

This boat is an outboard, but probably they may be enough to point to wind as well. But why not bridle, the reduced loads are a lot of reasons to use a bridle.

5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

At the moment, I have no bridle eye. I only have the cleat and the bow eye, but am interested to understand what you mean here.

Do you mean to make a short whip with rope catpawed to the bridle rope and just bowline the whip to the horn cleat?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.