Bourbon Dolphin capsizes

Discussion in 'Stability' started by Crag Cay, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

News on radio now, the maritime declaration or inquiry (sjøforklaring) started today. Witnesses explained that there was some discussion and disagreement with another vessel just before the accident. They disagreed on directions. The other ship should assist on the rode, I think. The machinist explains that he reported to the bridge that the engines would over-heat if power wasn't lowered. Sorry for my bad translation, hope you understand.

2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

This just now from BBC News:

"Geir Syversen, the only survivor who was on the bridge during the accident, is expected to give crucial evidence.

He is widely regarded as being key to the investigation.

He has already told a Norwegian newspaper he knows why the boat capsized, claiming it had nothing to do with the ship itself."

3. StianM

StianM Senior Member

I just read trough it and it seam the problems started once Highland Valour failed several times to catch the chain to ease the load.

The oilrig sugested that one off the pins (I asume this is the towing pins, but you can't trust the knowledge off a journalist) and this caused the ship to lean over more.

The winch emergency release that in the end was going to save the ship failed.

EDIT: The owerheatin ishue off the engines Raggi Thor is described as overheatin off bow thrusters. I only have operational experience on Ulstein thrusters and can newer remember anny overheating on them. The old ulstein thrusters are now a pert off rolls royce so I gues they might be using Brunvold nowdays.

4. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Jake Molloy of the OILC offshore union said: "It seemed to lurch sideways. It then came back up, rocked in the opposite direction before coming back again and rolled completely and capsized. It was as quick as that. There was just no time to react."

Some videos here:
    http://itn.co.uk/tags/bourbon_dolphin.html
    Watch the "Search called off for capsize victims" one for some virtual images on the disaster. They locate the rode chain as being attached to the ship's crane...:confused:

From another Forum:
    "I heard one of the survivors telling about how he experienced the whole thing. It make me think something must have used some force on that chain somehow. Maybe a sub collided with the anchor chain? Or a big fish? Or a squid?"
    Here we go.....:rolleyes:

5. Guillermo

Mr Hafsas (one of the survivors) says he had been on deck when the ship lurched and suddenly started to list. He ran into the accommodation part of the main deck, grabbed a life vest, and shouted for everyone to leave. The crewman described how he jumped into the water along with two young trainees. Moments later the boat rolled over into the sea.

Attached Files:

6. StianM

StianM Senior Member

I gues it's suposed to be the ships winch.
    I don't think the smal deck crane that supply and ATHS wesels normaly hawe could stand 300tonns off chain and wire without being ripped off it's fundation.

7. charmc

charmc Senior Member

More from BBC

Report from hearings just released:

"Capsize inquiry hears of problems
    The moments before an oil rig support vessel capsized off Shetland, with the loss of eight lives, have been described at an inquiry in Norway. Witness told of problems in the run-up to the Bourbon Dolphin capsizing. First mate Geir Syversen said an anchor handling operation with another ship eventually saw the anchor chain drag over the side of the Bourbon Dolphin. The boat soon started to capsize and the boat turned over. Only three bodies were found afterwards.

The Bourbon Dolphin capsized 85 miles west of the Shetland coast on 12 April and sank three days later. The inquiry in Alesund, Norway, heard the Bourbon Dolphin had been involved in an anchor handling operation with another ship, the Highland Valour, at the time of the incident. Mr Syversen, the only survivor who was on the bridge during the accident, told the inquiry it took the Highland Valour five attempts to move the anchor. On the final attempt the anchor chain, he said, dragged over the side of the Bourbon Dolphin. The Highland Valour was told to go more north west. The captain then came on the bridge and took a VHF radio and called on the Highland Valour: "Do you know the difference between north west and south east?"

A call from the chief engineer said the vessel had to reduce its thruster, because it was overheating. Below deck, work started on filling tanks on the starboard side of the boat to keep it more steady. The Highland Valour then lost the connection again. The Bourbon Dolphin then tried to release the inner pin. This saw the chain run free and catch the outer tow pin. The first mate said the boat then started to capsize. The cargo deck started to disappear below the water. The two main engines also stopped.

The hearing was told that the emergency release system was triggered but did not seem to work as intended. The boat then turned over.
    The inquiry continues.
    "

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/6590249.stm Published: 2007/04/25 13:35:23 GMT

Highland Valour: built in 2003 by Aker Tulcea SA and measures 3,160 tonnes, owned by Gulf Offshore (NS) Ltd.

Attached Files:

8. Guillermo

I don't know if this kind of vessels have to comply with the Tow Tripping Criterion and the Self Tripping Criterion, on top of IMO codes, among others.
    See: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/nvic/12_83/n12-83.htm
    We apply these in Spain for tugs irrespective of size, so although I have not worked with AHTS, I'm inclined to think they are applicable to the 'tugging part' of them.
    It has to be noted that the Self Tripping Criterion considers a pull over the beam of 0.7 times the bollard pull.

Something from IMO, a June 2006 revision of the IS code, also on towing.
    http://www.sname.org/committees/tech_ops/O44/49/49-5-12.pdf

Interesting to realize both Bourbon Offshore Norway and the matrix Bourbon have already deleted Bourbon Dolphin from the list of the AHTS fleet in their web pages (as well as all related info).

9. smartbight

smartbight Naval Architect

Survivor tells his story
    The first mate on board the doomed North Sea support vessel Bourbon Dolphin says the maritime tragedy seemed "unreal," and he was sure he wouldn't survive.
    Geir Syversen, shown here after he was rescued, called the sinking of the Bourbon Dolphin "unreal."

PHOTO: Elaine Tait, Millgaet Media / SCANPIX

Related stories:
    Hopes sank with doomed ship - 16.04.2007
    Father and son missing - 13.04.2007
    Geir Syversen is one of the seven crew members on board the AHTS (anchor handling tug & supply) vessel who survived its capsizing last Thursday. Eight others on board perished when the vessel overturned and later sank in the chilly North Sea off the Shetland Islands.

Syversen told newspaper Fredriksstad Blad on Tuesday that he was sure he'd drown as well.

He said he had duty on the bridge of the Bourbon Dolphin when the vessel suddenly began to tilt. He didn't worry at first.

"But then the alarm began to ring and the phone rang from the machine room," he said. "The skipper tried to right the ship, but couldn't. Then things began to go very wrong."

Syversen said there were six persons on the bridge when the ship capsized "and I flew out. I tried to climb up onto the hull, but was caught in the drag."

The wind was blowing at 32 knots, the sea swells were nine meters high and it was three degrees Celsius in the water. Syversen wasn't wearing a life vest.

"Suddenly the winds died down and the sun came out," he said. "It was remarkable." He met another crew member who also was in the water, held on to his life vest and the two managed to get into a lifeboat.

"Just then, I didn't think I'd ever be coming home again," he told Fredriksstads Blad. He did, though, as they were later picked up by search and rescue crews and flown to hospital in the Shetland Islands.

A maritime inquiry into the sinking of the vessel is scheduled to begin in the Søre Sunnmøre municipal court in the west coast town of Volda on Friday.

10. StianM

StianM Senior Member

If not there is a chance they hawe to from now on

11. acearch72

acearch72 Junior Member

Some further unconfirmed information;

Dolphin was running No.2 (last anchor to be deployed).
    A second vessel had been used to 'J' hook the chain between the rig and
    the Dolphin to support the catenary due to the weights of chain involved
    to reach the anchor drop position, the mooring leg consisted of rig wire, +/-900m 76mm chain, +/- 900m 84mm chain and anchor.
    The 'J' hook vessel had just come clear of the catenary and the Dolphin
    was reportedly off course (another vessel had reported some 40 degree
    leeway required to reach target position.) The Dolphin was requested to
    try to get back to the anchor run line as she was drifting toward anchor
    line 3.
    The vessel then started to turn and the chain / wire was seen by another
    vessel to ride onto the rail (not sure if the anchor was still on deck at this stage and whether the pins failed or were lowered), the vessel went over so far and returned to the upright.
    The chain / wire then went fully up the rail to the stags horn and the vessel overturned.

Two communications are said to have taken place between another vessel
    in proximity and the Dolphin, the first when the vessels started to turn advising to be careful and the second when the vessel started to roll to let it go.

Two of the other vessels involved in the operation were asked to review
    the weights that could be taken over the rails and what would cause them
    to turn.
    One vessel reported figures +/-400te and the other reported +/-250te.

The mooring in question is expected to have had somewhere in the region
    of 260te. Add some dynamic loading into this and the thrust being
    applied by the vessel....

12. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Seems like you have all the details from the hearing.
    I missed the documentary on tv last night because I was out boating.

13. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Shipping Times today:

"Inquiry into BOURBON DOLPHIN tragedy
    Inquiry begins, survivor says there is no doubt as to cause of tragedy
    The inquiry into the tragic loss of BOURBON DOLHPIN and the loss of eight of her crew, including the captain and his 14 year old son, is underway in Alesund, Norway.

Three survivors were amongst the witnesses giving their accounts yesterday and key to the findings are the accounts given to the inquiry from the only survivor who was on the bridge as she capsized.

Geir Syversen was quoted in the Norwegian press before the inquiry began as saying he knows what caused the incident and that once he told his story, no-one will be in any doubts as to the cause.

Yesterday he told the inquiry that whilst working alongside another vessel, the HIGHLAND VALOUR, they got into difficulties whilst handling an anchor for the oil rig they were working with.

HIGHLAND VALOUR is an anchor handling, towing and supply vessel (AHTS) operated by Gulf Offshore North Sea of Aberdeen

He described also that during proceedings the HIGHLAND VALOUR and BOURBON DOLPHIN almost collided and that BOURBON DOLPHIN had put full power on to escape collision. He said that BOURBON DOLPHIN had to take the full burden of the chain they were handling and her thrusters were overheating as they battled with the increased strain.

At one point HIGHLAND VALOUR was radioed and was told to go northwest, but it went in the other direction and the DOLPHIN's captain took the radio and said to the other vessel "Don't you know the difference between north west and south east?"

Syversen implied that the HIGHLAND VALOUR's inability to take her share of the work left a burden on BOURBON DOLPHIN whereby it took a lot of effort to hold her against the wind and maintain position. With her difficulties increasing it became clear the vessel was in grave danger.

The captain ordered that the chain be released but, the inquiry was told, the mechanism failed to work properly and they could not get rid of it fast enough. Soon after the vessel heeled right over."

14. charmc

charmc Senior Member

More hearing reports. There are significant differences in details reported among the various news services and, of course, interesting errors of ignorance. Most got that the load was from the weight of the anchor and length of rode, but one reported a "330 ton anchor". I just post links to save space:

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=641022007

http://www.norwaypost.no/cgi-bin/norwaypost/imaker?id=73007

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/t...objectid=18965767&siteid=66633-name_page.html

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.1355587.0.0.php

Given the wind and sea state, I wonder what dynamic loads were.

The 2 major trends emerging so far seem to be poor communications (cause yet to be determined) and, ultimately, either failure of the emergency release mechanism itself, or failure of the system to allow the chain to slide free once released (one description seems to say it started to slide free but caught on another part of the restraint mechanism).

15. Guillermo

Now this is beginning to make more sense.
    Risky maneouvre, indeed.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.