Bourbon Dolphin capsizes

Discussion in 'Stability' started by Crag Cay, Apr 12, 2007.

1. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

I see the cowardly point remover has been at it again - taken some points roughly a month after the post! Really alert eh? Want's to know my "BOT number", I'd like to know what he's going on about.

Sorry Guys for flying off the handle, shouldn't do it here I know but them as mess about with these 'repurtation' points should have the guts to say who they are! This one won't of course as he's a well known coward who thinks he's clever! Prat

2. Guest-3-12-09-9-21

Guest-3-12-09-9-21 Senior Member

They just installed a new stability calculator on my vessel...

Abicus.jpg

I'm jealous Nigel - it sounds like they are really working to make your stability calculations an integral part of the vessel safety rather than an afterthought to be only worked out longhand after the fact.

3. Guest-3-12-09-9-21

I have to agree with the ugly stick comment by Nigel - what ever happened to making a graceful and functional design? It looks like most modern boats are influenced by saltine cracker boxes and bad dreams.

4. Nigel1

Nigel1 Junior Member

Have attached a couple of pictures of the new boat at the Aker yard in Brattvag.
    Makes up in looks by the really nice bridge

Attached Files:

5. Guest-3-12-09-9-21

I'm jealous...it looks like they have a definite handle on how to design a working vessel.

6. safewalrus

Only thing that worries me there (I know the jobs not finished but....) seems a lot of room to bounce around in! given some of the seas that you guys work in these days that's not so good! OK we were pretty close to the water (under it at times!) but we were well jammed in -lot of people been hurt in conditions like that - other than that, yes she's looking like a nice box er boat! That's Maesk for you always did produce some nice vessels!

7. murdomack

murdomack New Member

Own Up Walrus, you'd gave your eye-tusks to be on that bridge. Seriously though, there have been massive changes over the years and the bigger boats are able to do all sorts of projects.

I'm going back a couple of days early on my next hitch to install a crane, hydraulic power pack, horizontal cable reeler, Air tugger winch, compressor and generator on the back of an AHTS. The project is scheduled for seven days and involves retrieving an FPSO anode sled and cable system that got fried in a lightening strike. Most of the time will be mobilizing and de-mobilizing all the extra kit.

8. Guest-3-12-09-9-21

The bridge design brings up an interesting point of fact when thinking of the BD incident. I wonder how similar the bridge layout was for the crew on that boat from the boats they sailed on previously. Since the BD was so new it would be very difficult if the controls were different from anything they might have worked on before. I was just thinking in particular about the possibility of making a mistake on ballast system.

9. Nigel1

Nigel1 Junior Member

Hi Chuck,
    Yep, all the boats in one class have pretty much the same control systems and layouts. In some cases, the are the same over two classes, the A Class and B Class boats have pretty much the same bridge configuration.
    One thing I dont like about the latest design is that the propulsion controls are on the arms of the aft chair, and the only other controls are the sticks up forward, or using the joystick, there are no seperate thruster and CPP controls on the aft consols, will be well b*ggered if the chair break down.

All the best
    Nigel

10. safewalrus

Murdo you bugger, yor're bloody right mate, not that I'd admit it of course! And Nigel i'm a wee bit surprised at that, them light blue things didn't normally make faux pas's like that! I believe they actually used to ask the skippers what they wanted - and more importanly listened!

Still remeber seeing my first little light blue boat in Peterhead, name began with a P (straight supply) but the most unusual thing was that the ocifers were actually in Uniform - scared the hell out of us scruff bags I can tell you! Didn't last mind!

11. stu hearn

stu hearn Previous Member

Walrus, thanks for neg points, would you care to tell this forum abt your ships, the ones you were Mate on, names of ship and the Company, and maybe scan a copy of your ticket, that way we can all see how honest you have been, thanks in advance old bean

12. Guest-3-12-09-9-21

I had a bad scare with a joystick control they tried on this vessel. The control was removed and the wire was coiled up and zip-tied to the footrest on the chair.
    I accidentally kicked this when on DP and ended up shorting out the DP system which caused the CPP pitch to fail full astern. I had to bail out of DP and climb all over the controls to keep from hitting the rig.

13. safewalrus

Stu, When you start being honest I might, until then NO! but as that will probably be never you're now in the bin with the other numpty! Goodbye fool - Just one thing, don't let this obsession get the better of you...............it has so far

14. Guest-3-12-09-9-21

Maybe you guys should move the personal attacks to a different forum.

15. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

this is a very professional thread, BUT , when a person posts stuff that is simply a fabrication, in here, consistantly, then i feel that attention should be drawn to the lie, this man has constantly told this forum that he was a tug mate I simply do not believe him and asked for his ships names, his ticket numbers Would you do same if you were going to employ somebody? I mean let us be honest

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.