Computer as radar display?

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by Nick.K, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

I have an Anritsu rb714a scanner unit but no display. There is a "black box" sold by Koden ( http://www.koden-electronics.co.jp/eng/marine/radarpc ) for using a computer as the radar control and display unit but the price is staggering. While I realise that I can get a used display cheaply on ebay, I'm curious if there there is a solution out there. Has anyone experience of this?
    Nick.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you are using a stable operating system is OK. However, Windows is notorious for crashing and locking up due to conflicts.

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

A monitor with a daylight visible screen is very expensive.

Software is also an issue.

Ive used several PC driven Radar Nav systems over the years.

I prefer The prepackaged gear from Simrad or other companies.

You might check with marine electronic suppliers to see if they have any suitable used monitor gear in the shop .. Over the years Ive thrown out several very good systems when vessels are upgraded, refit

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I disagree in that Windows is unstable. Windows can be quite stable, though many "add ons" can cause issues, as well as asking too much of the hardware. In the role as a radar display, no such difficulties should exist, assuming it will be just a radar display. I think it would be much simpler to just pick up a new LCD screen, which isn't much money. A 17" would be about $100.

5. michael pierzga

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I use Windows, and I've also had more trouble with hard drives than with the OS. I just replaced one on my Toshiba laptop, which is only about a year old.

Of course, my laptop leads a rough life. It bounces around between my truck, my motor home, my work, and two houses. And it gets hit with a lot of dust and a lot of desert heat....

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can get solid state drives that can take a lot of bouncing nowadays.

8. michael pierzga

The problems is that the Good stuff is expensive. The Panasonic Toughbook is worth looking at if you have deep pockets.

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

That's what the company issued me when I was a pipeline patrolman. They're pretty indestructible....

10. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

I've done lots of onboard computer set-ups over the years and the Toughbook with XP or2000 has ended up as the platform of choice. There can be some issues is bright daylight, but really, for a radar display in bright daylight you should be using the other windows...:D

11. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The OP has a scanner without display unit, so he also has no controls.
    A $100 LCD display is no solution. The choice is between a very expensive Anritsu display unit and an also expensive PC interface. The latter offers more versatility but lacks the most important property: brilliance!

In fact the only acceptable display for daylight navigation is a paperwhite reflective LCD because that is the only screen where the visibility increases with ambient light. For a color display (who needs that?) we have to wait a bit until OLED screens become available at a reasonable price.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.