bottom paint

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by gtflash, Sep 29, 2013.

1. gtflash

gtflash Senior Member

Ive trolled the forums and im still none the wiser. Vinylester/derakane boat, epoxy repairs to outside spray rails and running surface....... What to paint it with?? It is a trailer sailor, however it is not uncommon for it to do a few days, maybe even a week in the marina (salt water)

antifoul is not an option as she is a go fast boat.

Can I use epoxy gelcoat (lots of work by the sound of it). Gamble on polyster gelcoat, with all blush removed (maybe), 2 pack paint apparently blisters, and Id like something durable. Epoxy paint????

Ta GT

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

LPU, is the stuff you want (2 pack). It'll tolerate short immersion times, is tough, hard, durable and the choice for go fast. This said, there are bottom paints that are designed for go fasts too.

3. gtflash

gtflash Senior Member

thankyou par, I am off to google. I will see what other questions I find

4. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

You could look at Coppercoat....
    We've used it with great success on a trailered 23ft Formula powerboat ( a go-faster ;))

5. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Will's advice is good. I have used material like Coppercoat or Copperpoxy. It can be sanded to as smooth a surface as needed and will tolerate short immersion in salt water but (in my experience) is not a full time tropical formula.

6. Willallison

We've kept the Formula both in and out of the water for extended periods (years) and found the Coppercoat to work well. It spent a number of those in warmer, though not tropical climes

7. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Will,

Are you saying that Coppercoat works as an effective antifouling coating for years in salt water? If so, it is much better than the Copperpoxy that I used which I think was basically copper micro flakes in epoxy. There were other excellent qualities but long term immersion in salt water in my area was not one of them.,

8. Willallison

No..sorry Tom... that sounded a bit misleading...From memory, the boat was in the water for about 4 - 6 months on a few occasions between being pulled on to the trailer over a period of several years. A quick blast off and it always came back up clean. Just as importantly IMHO, extended periods on the trailer don't appear to adversely effect it

9. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

A fleet of small charter boats here in the marina has coppercoat bottoms for more than five years.

they get hauled and blasted each fall to remove slime , dry stored for seven months , then launched for summer season...five months in warm seawater . they stay barnacle free.

touch up chafe under jackstands and blocking is the only recoating Ive seen them receive.

The stuff works. I would definitely use it on a trailer sailed boat.

permanent life in sea water....I have no experience.

10. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

It was abut 20 years ago that I first used Copperpoxy and there must have been improvements in the formulation since then. No way could I get more than a month in high summer here without having to clean the bottom. Cleaned every week when racing. For a trailerable boat that is not in the water very long, it was superb and tough as nails.

11. 01Jacek

01Jacek New Member

9m +40kn RIB 3years with CC, 3 month out of water during winter no trace of barnacle - it works perfect but no speed gaining like they say ;)

12. sprit

sprit Junior Member

Ask Kirby Paints.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.