stand by

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by jollyricard, Jan 5, 2012.

1. jollyricard

jollyricard Junior Member

dear all,

What is a stand by of a pump?
    is the automatic start? or is the stop of the pump in case of small flow?

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

....sorry mate, hard to really understand in those few words exactly what you want, but a standy pump is a pump that is NOT in regular use, it is to be used as either an extra pump or in emergency...it is plumbed in and ready ti use, but not in regular use....hope this helps.

3. Poida

Poida Senior Member

If you rewrite exactly how you read it (eg. off a pump spec.) it would be easier to understand and reply.

4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Stand by could mean the pump is activated by a float switch, as long as there is no water the pump is on stand by . . . .

Cheers,
    Angel

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Stand by means "ready to use or deploy". With equipment it is often a backup system.

6. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I'll look it up, stand-by...

-Tom

7. jollyricard

ok. three pumps was installed on board a boat, chief engineer told me to verify the stand- by pump; but i dont understand in what consist the "stand by pump ". What must I to do for verify it?

8. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...again mate, your translation is not getting thru to us, can you quote directly what it says and we can then try to explain it in a different manner that may help you, ta, JOhn

9. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Landlubber, I feel that if he quotes exactly what it says, it will be in Italian.

Maybe if it is written in Italian, someone in the forum who can better translate, can advise what the actual question is.

Poida

10. jollyricard

ok. three pumps was installed on board a boat, chief engineer told me to verify the stand- by pump; but i dont understand in what consist the "stand by pump " what must I to do for verify it?

11. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I suspect he/she wanted you to test the stand-by pump and see if it was serviceable.

It may have been prudent to also check if it would automatically engage (start) when commanded to do so (again, automatically).

Perhaps you should ask the Chief for clarification.

-Tom

12. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

A stand-by pump starts automatically when needed, perhaps to take over from a failed pump or to pump out bilge-water when it gets above a certain level. When not required it is "standing by" - still connected to electrical power but not running. A common type of stand-by pump has a battery power supply and runs only if the main (duty) pump fails or loses power. The stand-by pump in a sewage system will run if the main pump becomes overloaded during a storm, or if the main pump is being serviced.

To test a bilge-water pump you would raise the float and ensure the pump turns on, and off again when you lower it.

A pump that is NOT a stand-by pump may be a cooling pump, or a pump for the head (wash basin or flush toilet), or even a fuel pump. So you need to eliminate the 2 pumps that can be started with a manual control; once you have located all 3 pumps it should be obvious which one is a stand-by.

13. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I think he means to activate it by lifting the float lever to make sure it is functional.

14. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

jollyricard, you have 3 pumps. Describe them.

15. jollyricard

ok, i have following pumps :
    fuel pump, bilge pump and ballast pump!!!!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.