Borgwarner velvet drive probs?

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by DennisRB, Oct 27, 2013.

1. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

My mate has a velvet drive behind his Ford Lehman 80. It keeps popping out of gear, but only appears to do so when the boat is in a sea state. It seems fine in flat water.

How good are these boxes? Will it make a difference if we use good trans oil? The manual says you can pretty much put anything in it. What can we do to fix this issue?

Thanks.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Have you checked the oil level? If it is low it will starve the pump when the boat rocks and slip out of gear.

1 person likes this.
  3. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Yeah that was the first thing we checked.

4. Chuck Losness

Chuck Losness Senior Member

Make sure you have the correct dip stick for your transmission. Borg Warner makes several different dip sticks and they will all fit in any model of the velvet drive. I discovered this when I had to buy a replacement dip stick. The full line was almost one inch further down the dipstick. The fluid from the transmission cooler could also be draining back into the trans when you shut the engine down giving you a false reading. You need to check the fluid level the instant you shut the engine down before any fluid can drain from the transmission cooler back into the transmission.
    Good luck

1 person likes this.
  5. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Great tips. We will check it out.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

How many hours on this 71/72C (my assumption)?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.