Borg Warner Velvet Drive Model 72c Current Model

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by DAVID HOSEGOOD, Dec 19, 2006.

1. DAVID HOSEGOOD

DAVID HOSEGOOD DAVE H

Hi all iam new to this forum actually new to any forum
    I have a small problem with a project which involves my velvet drive
    What iam trying to do is this I have a small 3 kilowat 3 phase :confused: electric motor
    one KEB electric drive control and one of two two generators on board plus one ups with one weeks back up storage Yes thats battery backup weigths 1.5 tons
    I am trying to install this electric motor so that when in port and i want move the boats a short distance I can use an electric motor my idea is to connect electric motor through a set of gears ie chain and sprocket to propeller shaft that comes out of gear box

Main problem I live in New Zealand and we dont have anyone around who i can ask about the gear box side, as to when electric motor is running will it do damage to gear box as the tail shaft is going to be turning but the main diesel engine and gear box is going to be in neutral.

The electric drive and the motor is no problem or ups ie motor is three phase
    My ocupation is an electronics tec for vectek electronics we build shorepower systems for superyachts.

This motor is not reaqlly intended as a replacement for my main means
    of propulsion only for in harbour or manuvering.

All comments would be gratefully recieved

Dave h

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It would be cheaper to install an electric drive with tilt. The gears will overheat if you run them without the engine. The oil pump lubricates and cools the system. Also the heat exchanger cools the oil.