Bores filling up with fuel

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by valvebounce, Jun 11, 2019.

1. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Only if the float valve is bad, otherwise the ball will just become firm and you won’t be able to squeeze it.

Although if the fuel pump diaphragm is bad fuel may flow into the crankcase

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Yep, one or the other.

3. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

Thanks for your replies 'O' and Mr E.
    What you are saying is the obvious answer I know.I am going to strip the carb again and re- check it.
    I'm not familiar with this engine,I could have the starting procedure all wrong.
    Last time I ran it, I ran it out of fuel deliberately,and when I came back to it to re-start it,I gave it a pull before I pumped the bulb,it started for a few seconds first pull.I pumped the bulb,and it wouldn't start,on looking at the plugs,they were wet with fuel.Somehow I had managed to flood it.
    I also have a spark plug that is failing I think.

4. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Senior Member

You can if the float levels are a bit too high and you pump really hard. But you should only be pumping until the bulb gets hard. If you squeeze really hard, again depending on the float level you can force fuel past the needle and seat and this can flood the engine. Also if the float levels are too high when you start the motor the fuel pump can push fuel past the float and this will cause the engine to flood. But if you have a bad plug it's going to run rough or be hard to start. Put in new plugs and then you should be able to start it. Checking the float levels is not that hard, and it's cheap insurance.

5. valvebounce

That's the answer I think,I have been putting a lot of pressure on the bulb trying to fill the filter sight glass.
    I set the float level absolutely parallel and in line with the carb body,the only thing I didn't check was the drop down distance of the float (one and a half to two and a quarter inches)There is only one carb on this engine.
    Like you say,it's an easy job to strip the carb and check,so I'll start there.
    Many thanks for your time and input YJ.

6. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Even with the float level set high you won’t be able to pump fuel passed it unless the valve leaks. It may run rich if they’re set high though.

7. valvebounce

Set the float level as per specs,checked the squeeze bulb and pipe for obstructions.
    The motor starts easily and will tickover all day.
    When I increase the revs and hold it at that,the engine misfires and would cut out if I didn't come off the revs.
    The spark plugs are new.The new fuel pump I fitted seems to be having problems keeping the sight glass/filter full.
    When it misfires the sightglass is full,I have used the pump up bulb to make sure.
    I have stripped the new pump to check it,and it looks ok.I am wondering if the pump might be the wrong pump.
    Where the fuel enters the carb,there is a brass plug,anyone know what the purpose of it is.It's right above the brass inlet nipple.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.