Book recommendations, and a simple question. Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by jstcrzyengh, Sep 6, 2005.

1. jstcrzyengh

jstcrzyengh Junior Member

Well, I have never worked with fiberglass before and to be perfectly honest never anything having to do structurally with a boat before, however I want to learn and am trying to find and absorb as much information as I can. The reason is I have a 1977 IMP that is a great hull for the kind of fishing I do out here in the west coast. Its got a great cuddy and all, however the deck room is limited to a huge engine box with saddle bag fuel tanks. I am repowering from a 305 OMC to a 4.3l MPI and I will be having a shop reglass the transom however I am looking to recreate a new top for the boat (it is primarily windows) and create a kind of pilothouse. This will not only keepy me dry, but warm on trips out to the islands early in the morning. Is taking on something like a pilothouse too much for a beginner? Local shops want $20k in just fiberglass work to do what I want and that doesnt include the electrician or the repower. Right now I have about $20k to invest with another $5k-$10k later down the line. I am trying to save as much as I can now, but have the job still done right.

Should I just leave it to a professional completely?

Either way I would like recommendations on not only repairing fiberglass boats, but working with glass and floors, etc... Even if I do not do the work myself I would still like to be educated about the process and the time frames it might take.

Thanks for any and all information.

James :)

2. yipster

yipster designer

sure we are crazy trowing our bucks in the water.
    get a book and some advice together with your small poly try-out buy from your local polyester shop and try some hands on.
    first time you probably wont like but after getting the rouitine right you be amazed what you can build.

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Am I crazy ?

Listen to your uncle Yipster. There's no great mystique in adding a cuddy - whatever material you use. Just make sure it is firmly anchored to the hull.

4. jstcrzyengh

jstcrzyengh Junior Member

I appreciate the feedback guys. Do you have any specific book recommendations that I should start with?

5. Buckle

Buckle Composite Engineer

have u considered doing some practical training. ACMC (advanced composites manufacture centre, UK, university of plymouth) do a great 3 or 4 day short course called, introduction to composite manufacture/materials. For a small investment, u will learn an awlful lot. Trust me, I started my career there many moons ago. We use to run short courses for ppl all over the word, on behave of massive, international comanies down to the hobbiest like yourself.

Check them out on the web. Their very friendly. Mind u, i expect the courses isnt as good since I've left. Only kidding.