Bondo?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Tohbi, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Tohbi

Tohbi Senior Member

working on the tank test model of the '87 ac racer. the hull has six coats of bondo over c-flex. i'm going to add a couple more layer of epoxy cloth. what to do about the bondo?

i'm receiving different data about bondo: take it off, leave it on, or take some of it off before adding more cloth. i've been told it absorbs moisture and isn't a strong enough adhesive to be under the cloth, but i've also been told it's okay to coat over it.

so, i'm thoroughly confused. to be safe, i should remove it, but that is a whole lotta work. what can the list members tell me?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

C-flex is a material that needs complete saturation with resin to be structurally sound. The Bondo was a quick and easy way to build a tank test model. However, it is not a boat, but a model. C-flex will give you all the info you need to work with their product. Bondo is a cosmetic material with little structural value.

3. ClarkT

ClarkT Senior Member

This is a model, right?..you won't be leaving this in the water for days-weeks-months at a time.

If you are going to skin the bondo with epoxy and fabric, I would not worry about the bondo at all.

4. Tohbi

Tohbi Senior Member

taking gonzo's suggestion, i contacted glen-l and asked about c-flex. they sell the stuff and have been designing and building boats for a long time. barry witt indicated it would probably be easiest to start over than remove the bondo.

i would probably leave the bondo if i could mechanically fasten at least the first layer of cloth. but it would be very difficult to hit the frames with screws, going through the bondo and c-flex.

so, since i'm not going to start from scratch, i'm going to have to remove enough of the bondo so the new glass will attach to the c-flex. i don't think this will require removing all the bondo but it's going to be messy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.