bonding foam core to fiberglass

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mungral, Sep 16, 2007.

1. mungral

mungral Junior Member

Hi all

what would you guys use to bond a foam core the outer skin.

this is what i have.

female mould.
    gelcoat, outer skin of fibreglass all ready layed up.
    now i have to add the foam core sheets.

can i just use pure resin to glue the core the the skin or do i have to use resin and gluing balloons, or is there some thing else i should use?

the core i'm using is 80kg divincell

thanks in advance

2. raw

raw Senior Member

Product you want is called divilette (spelling) Diab will sell it.

Thats not you fred?

3. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Mungral, I've been using K-lite from FGI, grey in colour & nice creamy easy to spread blend, pre mixed core bedding compounds are the go 'cause the're made for the job & do it good, don't forget to resin prime the core before install & you don't say what style the core is, plain sheet or contour cut which will push into compound easy, the plain sheet should be perforated & preferally be vacuum bagged in, I think Diab or one of the others has an online intallation instruction page, some of the packs we get have in install sheet guide in the pack so the slushies can learn how to do it proper not just "push that **** into there & she'll be right" kind thing. You wanna aim for the best bondline to core you can get as in way of any voids the sandwich aint working. All the best from Jeff & may all your sandwich be well buttered :)

4. OGM

OGM Junior Member

Is it necessary to use a bedding compound when using epoxy also? I'm doing a similar project with epoxy and thought you could just wet both the core and the fiberglass sufaces with the epoxy and then vacuum them together? What is the usual practice?

5. mungral

mungral Junior Member

thanks everyone.

Raw.. no it's not Fred, i pinched the login name after i built one of freds boats. i guess i should have let fred have it, but did not think of that :)
    i think fred goes by the name MungralYachts

Waikikin.. i'm using flat perf sheet with will be vacuumed bagged into place

if anyone wants to see what the mould looks like it can be see here
    in the moondance construction section of the site
    http://users.on.net/~andrewburdon/NS14SA/

6. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

OGM, the "usual practice" varies with the resin choice, size of job & labour available to get it under the bag & pulled down within the working "envelope" of time till the goo gels up, if your using epoxy & can lay the fiber & get the core in & bag pulled down before the resin gels you'll be alright, if using resin to corebond in a poly job you've gotta put the core into some juicey chop strand mat(more heavy) so the core bedding compounds in poly/vynle available offer an easy to do inside a working day style of process giving less trouble in production & less stress trying to get a quality bondline(so long as done right), I read that your doing a hard top thats not enourmous so if your resin gives you an hour+ you'll probly be ok if theres 2 on the job, for that I'd set up a melamine sheet with poly film covers taped on for pre wetting your fabric the have some pvc stormpipe to roll onto & transfer the cloth- quicker & thin resin soaked cloth give longer work time than trying to reach & wetout in the middle of mold - Epoxy left in the pot cooks up quick! better to get it soaking into the fabric sooner- you'll have to mask up the perimeter of the mold & demask for the vac bag tacky tape to have somewhere to stick to. If your hardtops got lots of peices(time consuming) like fastening blocks, tapping plates, conduits etc you may be better to use some epoxy adhesive & glue down the core(better for contour cut) in similar(same) fashion as using a corebedding compound- you can even stop for morning tea & lunch then. All the best from Jeff.