Brass CZ112? fasteners?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rona, Jun 8, 2005.

1. rona

rona Junior Member

Using a naval brass CZ112 with satin chrome finish and also Bronze powder coating..I am confused and do not want any corrosion of the metal so my questions are:
    1. which fasteners should I use? is Black steel is acceptable :confused:
    2. How resistant is the Naval Brass? or will it be better to use the High tensile Brass CZ114?

I will appreciate your help :D

2. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Brass Fasteners

Rona,

First of all, you should be more specific about the materials c.q. environment you will use those brass fasteners. That info is most crucial for a succesful application.
    And, what is a fastener: a rivet, a blind rivet, a bolt or a spike/nail?

3. rona

rona Junior Member

Hi there,

It's an architectural lighting fitting for a yacht.
    I will prob.ly use screws. In the meanwhile I thought I might use Nylon 6 screws (also good to absorb the vibration from the engine)
    What would you suggest?

4. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Fasteners

That is what I wanted to make out: is that part vibration free? Nylon is not such a bad choice, but it hardenes out and will break after some years. You can use it if replacement is easy, lampfittings suffer always a bit from leaking current and therefore the area around the fitting might corrode. Therfore avoid the use of brass unless you screw in wood.

5. rona

rona Junior Member

Many thanks for your help, but I have another question coming up: I am using Naval Brass CZ112 and I am facing the question whether to silver solder or bronze braising it.???

6. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

That depends on your ability - I would choose for bronze braising instead of silver soldering for the simple reason that the joints of the bronze-braizing are easier to treat afterwards and to finish than the silver soldered joints, where you will have difficulties with the after treatment.

I understand that you manufacture these kind of lampfittings - units and therefore your questions. Mounted on to fiberglass or wood, you can easily use bronze screws; mounting on to aluminium or steel surfaces, use a non corrosive screw, if the screwhead is visible, make some small caps to cover them up, in case you use nylon screws.
    Vinex produces coated screws which have a good corrosion resistance and are available in som colours.

Good Luck!

7. rona

rona Junior Member

Many thanks for you help! I think I might use Nylon 66 as for screws specialy because of the vibration and also because it is not that easy to find the right size in brass or silicon bronze screws in the UK.

I will look at Vinex website. again, lots of thanks and all the best

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.