Bolt material?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bern, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Bern

Bern Junior Member

I will be penetrating the hull with bolts. She will be used in fresh water, probably never see salt. What is the best type to use, stainless steel? The hull is aluminum. When inserting the bolts, I plan on using a sealant of some type. What would you use? --- Thanks for the help.

2. Karsten

Karsten Senior Member

The best is Titanium because the electrochemical potential is the smallest to prevent electrolytic corrosion between the fastener and the aluminium. If you use stainless steel fasteners try to get some that are cadmium plated. Otherwise you have to electrically insulate the bolt from the aluminium. Painting the bolt and the hole with a good epoxy primer before installation should do the trick.

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Stainless steel isn't really stainless, of course... in an anaerobic environment it will still corrode (ie. if moisture is trapped under a sealant). The epoxy primer would be of great help in preventing this. Electrically insulating the bolt from the hull is a Very Good Idea as any metal contact will set up a galvanic cell and generate corrosion.

4. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Bern,

Since the previous posters didn't ask, I will. Why are you going to penetrate the hull with bolts? Is there no other solution, since corrosion can become a problem with the bolts?

Regards,

5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The "best" bolts would be made from the same series if alunimum the hull is coinstructed of.

This is Usually difficult to find ,

but for 3/16 or 1/4 diameter inch structural rivets
    ( installed with rivet gun & bucking bar)
    would work fine , and are usually avilable in Marine grades.

FAST FRED

6. Bern

Bern Junior Member

Dutch Peter, Yes, I need to attach some brackets on the stern. I believe that the best approach is to use nuts and bolts and penetrate the hull skin in order to tie into some brackets on the inside. Some will be above water line, however some will be right at WL.

7. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

You may use monel, that material is used on alu masts in way of blind rivets and their corrosion rate is the lowest. For the rest I believe Fred is correct - you can use indeed Titanium as Karsten says, but you won't find those required not that easy save in the aircraft industry at some dollars a piece. Keep with Fred or use monel.

8. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

This dude is probly bolting something to the back of his jon boat and yall are talking about titianium.come on.what sort of boat do you got?if it is a little fishing boat for fresh water just get some stainless bolts and some marine silicone and let it rip.Who cares it aint the friging space shuttel.if it is a real boat or yacht weld it on if you can

9. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Bern,

You can always get some thin G-10 from the nearest TAP plastics and cut some washers with a hole-saw and put them under the stainless ones.

Yoke.

10. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

That's hilarious, he didn't say what kind of boat, did he? I'll defend the guys answering so far, the original post does sound kind of serious, and corrosion is a very serious problem on a yacht. How many people call their jon boat "she"? :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.