Stick Built versus Pan FRP

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by doogymon, Apr 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. doogymon

doogymon Junior Member

Just reading about C&C sailboats coming out of the R&D Bruckmann in Oakville Ont Canada back in the early 70's. The boats were described as "stick-built" instead of "pan". Does "stick-built" mean stringers and cross members of FRP encapsulated wood? If so, wouldn't pan built be more resistant to rot? Also, would the "Stick-builts" be prone to being too stiff in a hard knock situation?

Much Obliged.

Doog

2. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Generally stick built refers the entire interior fit out from the bare shell as it comes out of the mold being done with wood, ie, plywood bulkheads, furniture, cabin sole etc and often the structural floors, engine beds in wood completely tabbed in and encapsulated with glass/polyester. Most boats built in the early days maybe through to the 1990s were stick built while most boats built since then tend to have fiberglass pan type construction to some degree. Obviously the less wood there is, especially in areas that are out of sight like under the sole in the bilge the less chance of rot but don't be fooled into thinking pan type construction is superior. The reason builders have gone this way is simple economics, its much less labor intensive, its not to build you a better boat. A good stick built boat is as good as any. Unfortunatly many mass produce stick built boats are not well built but the same goes for boats with molded pans and liners. I work on boats every day and boats with liners everywhere can be more difficult to carry out repairs such as recoring of hulls and decks. I have done such work on C&Cs with liners and am not impressed. On the other hand i have only seen one very early(1969) Bruckmann built custom C&C racer and was very impressed, it didn't need any repairs but if it had it would have been easy.

3. doogymon

doogymon Junior Member

Steve...I like the boat...I could modify, repair and get at things a lot easier.
    The boat is a built like a brick outhouse!

Thank You for your reply.

Doog