Boiler design and Green Steam Engine

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by sigurd, Mar 5, 2009.

1. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

PAR made me aware of the green steam engine in this thread.
    The engine gives 10hp at 125psi. The plans for it includes return pump.
    Here is a turnkey version, with some graphs.
    Here is a little discussion, with some mention of the engine:
    The discussion also contains some links pertaining to the use of a steam injector as water return pump.

I am going to find out whether the engine will be suitable for my boat. So I need to find out what sort of boiler I can use. I need it to be very compact and light.

Here are my initial thoughts.
    Water pipe boiler from copper could be my easiest option.

I hope the boiler will be able to burn all sorts of junk.
    I am intrigued by downdraft stoves, have made a few from tin cans.
    The stratified downdraft gasifier dries the fuel before burned - they have tossed snow in the fuel compartment and it still did not stop the engine.
    edit: the top loading of fuel is also a nice feature when stuffing the boiler down into a narrow hull.

Speculation: No matter what the boiler design, I was thinking that a main feature of any wood burner is that the primary combustion is kept at a very high temperature, in order to break down most tars and CO, as well as keeping the flame going even with wet or green wood. So that leads to an insulated combustion chamber, where the steam tubes are not exposed to the primary combustion heat. maybe.

Hoping for inputs.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  2. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

Here, trying to get all gases burnt before entering the chimney with the coiled boiler pipe.
    Also the condenser heats primary and secondary air.
    What I don't like about the stratified downdraft gasifier as in the gengas pages, is that due to the narrow fire tube, it can only burn rather small pieces, preferrably chips, which will not be available usually. So I am going to ponder a burner for normal logs.
    Electric draft connected to a manometer may be the simplest way to keep pressure in the boiler constant?

Attached Files:

3. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

Here is a recipe for a monotube boiler.
    Here is an illustration of the downdraft gasifier. Mine should have the wood gas burning up before it enters the boiler chamber?

Attached Files:

4. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

According to this site it is possible to build a boiler of 40 kg boiling 500kg steam per hour, powering a 50hp engine. Using ID 12mm and wall thickness 0.71mm, the 90m ss coil (the coil metal is not mentioned) weighs 18kg according to this.
    Is that tube something like what I should look for?
    Given 10hp at 8.6 bar, maximum continuous pressure 15 bar, what length pipe would be a good starting point? How much for the draft cooled condenser?
    What is a good insulation material? Light, draws no water, moldeable/shapeable?

I changed the boiler to use centrifugal fan but then I drew it with air from a third engine piston injected to the stack.

Attached Files:

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Sorry sigurd, I step in a bit late.
    The principle of your boiler design looks a bit strange to me, would have to go in deep to make a proper statement.
    Airdraft is never sufficient for a condenser of useable size, must be raw water.
    Stainless and copper are not suitable for the piping intended. The one melts away, the other has a corrosion problem. Mild steel is the choice.
    I just had a brief look at the site you linked to and found already several points I seriously doubt.
    Do´nt mix 500kg of water with 500kg of steam.
    The pressure given (15 bar) is by far too high for the little 2cyl. engine on cont.duty. I guess 10bar is more likely what she will stand. IF that!
    And it´s not neccessary to go that high with pressure. Just manufacture the engine with a larger cyl. diameter and have the same power output at lower pressure.
    Maybe I can find the time (or steel it) next week, to give you some better recommendations. What is the installation for? Which type of vessel has to be propelled?

Regards
    Richard

6. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

6m proa. 200-500kg.

I will try to keep the burner and boiler less than 40cm in width and pretty low, 50cm?

Ok. After it has heated the draft, the condenser can boil seawater.

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

some sketches?

8. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

I'll see if i can do a sketch.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  9. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

Here. Tail and wands are things I want to try. Not necesary at first. Steering is also done by moving kite tow point.

Attached Files:

10. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

Lamont

Hello

I found a design that seems clever - it is called a Lamont boiler.
    more on it: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/3589/newboiler2-11-2004.html

A comparison vs some other boilers were done, a Stanley, a White and a Doble. Much more could be evaporated with the Lamont per tube surface area, and was said to be safer and more durable due to being flushed all the time. Sounds like he had difficulty finding a proper circulation pump. Suggestion?

ps. I updated the first post with some more links about the engine.

pps. Regarding the pics. Not sure what is required for the overflow from the injectors. Probably it has to be fed back to the low pressure feedwater tank/condenser. Possibly lossy and requiring a larger condenser. ppps. Found some lightweight refractory blankets. Kaowool is rated for 1100C continuous. Is that enough?

Attached Files:

11. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

SES boiler

Found a great looking boiler - powering a 100kw engine in 40x40cm, 50kg.
    Getting some papers on it from SAE and SACA

Attached Files:

12. apex1

apex1 Guest

Now I understand the intended use, and have to disappoint you, verry sorry Sigurd, thats not a way to choose for you.
    The Lamont is a very effective and proven system. But Boy you´re going to install a bomb right under your Bu..t.
    Condensed water injection is the cheapest way to feed the boiler, pumps are much dearer and heavier. But you know already, that the system you are planning here, will anyway be in the 25.000€ ballpark (to name the lower level)?
    Are you shure that this is what you are going for? The engine is about 250€ or so! A larger Boiler (saturated vapor, 14 bar) for a 10hp cont. output at the engine crank, will end up in the 10.000€ already. Downsizing is possible by overheating only, and that means (as a rule of thumb) half the size, double the cost! Thats valid for the boiler only! Pumps and piping etc. have to become more rigid too.
    It is possible, no doubt, but IMHO not worth thinking about. This little engiine is at home in the low pressure world, landbased and with easy to make, easy to maintain boiler system.
    The SES boiler shown above looks quite promising, but I estimate the cost for such a system (closed loop) at about 50.000€ upwards.
    And there is another piont, nobody tells you in advance: the time to heat such a system before you can run it full power, is several hours! The lighter the boiler, the smoother (but a bit faster) you can preheat! Otherwise internal tension will crack the plumbing with an impressive, but fatal, bang.
    Sorry again, would have enjoyed to provide better and more constructive advice.
    Regards
    Richard

13. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

There are numerous questions that remains unanswered before I can decide whether it is worth building a boiler, or what sort. Some of them are in this thread. What, E50 000? Could you break it down roughly?

14. apex1

apex1 Guest

Yes naturally, Sigurd, if I find the time.
    But just a few words, you know that every boiler has to be certified, DNV I think in your case. Read: every single piece has to be too! Every seam welded by DNV approved welder / boilermaker. The burner unit is´nt just a Burner from central heating, etc. etc.
    If you know what "aircraft certification" or "approval" means and how much that means in price comparison, you have a rough idea about additional cost over just plumbing items! Every single piece of stuff is miles away from affordable.
    Regards
    Richard

15. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

didn't know you have to certify it. As little as possible welding I wanted anyway - screwing fittings seems more appropriate.
    For the gas producer I was thinking a couple of insulated paint cans. Would function adequate I think. The burner system in the SES could be modified to use producer gas.
    10k Euro is already way beyond what I can afford - don't bother with the 50k breakdown. I have to find out a way to do it cheaper or not do it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.