Epoxy Resin and Coroplast

Discussion in 'Materials' started by ElGringo, Sep 23, 2015.

1. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

Will epoxy resin stick to coroplast? I have some scraps I would like to use as a filler to create a strange shape.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Is it structural or decorative?

3. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

Decorative, but it would sure be ugly if it came apart.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There should be enough adhesion. Usually, it helps to clean it with alcohol to degrease it and scratch it with sandpaper.

5. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

My Grand Daughter cut a Dragon out of coroplast and I want to bond it to the side of her travel trailer and glass over it so it is just a raised form.

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Coroplast is extruded polypropylene. I doubt you will get a good bond with epoxy. Maybe do a test piece and see if they peel apart.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You can get a bond, but it's not great. The stuff he's using is very thin corrugated sign making stock and it's tolerance to UV is poor, unless coated. It can be "caramelized" with a torch, but stuff this thin tends to distort pretty bad if you linger more than a fraction of a second. Caramelization will greatly improve an epoxy bond, if you can do it without damage. I used to use this stuff the make templates, but now use chip board. I have several 4x8 sheets of this stuff still around and odd cut up pieces are often used as epoxy mixing boards. It sticks, but it can be popped off when flexed. I've never tried to caramelize it, but it should work.

1 person likes this.
  8. minno

minno Junior Member

super glue is the best thing for gluing coroplast, you can buy it at model shops in two ounce bottles for less than the cost of a litle tube.

hot glue works well ( the old type yellowish sticks) but you have to flash it with a butane torch as Par said, the object being to cook off the coating that causes water to run off, or maybe to bead, info isn't really clear.

Scotch tough tape works well for joining pieces edge to edge or sealing gaps/holes.

9. PAR

I've never tried cyanoacrylate, but it might do, though the bond will be brittle on a relatively soft substrate.

Caramelizing doesn't cook anything, but breaks up the carbon chains on the surface molecules, providing "tooth" at a molecular level, where pieces of the epoxy molecule can get a better grip. It's not a chemical process, as I understand it, but purely mechanical.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  10. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

I can always hope that she forgets about it, or find something other than coroplast to make the cut out. I guess if it was an easy thing to use, others would already be using it and there would be no need for the question.

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

You could use her artwork as a template and recreate it from thin plywood, which could then be attached to the RV with epoxy.

12. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

Yeah, but I think I'll try telling her that it wont stick. If she doesn't think of using something else, I'm going to be quiet.

13. PAR

A hot glue gun sounds easy enough and hell, you can't let your little girl down, so get to it . . .

14. minno

minno Junior Member

Just use shrink wrap :D

if you really want to know the ins and outs of working with coroplast check an RC plane site, they use it extensively.

do you want to take the dinosaur OFF the RV some day? if so I wouldn't recommend epoxy or CA glue.

If not maybe a car wrap...

minno

15. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

There are no dragons in Armadillo,

I know I lived there long, long ago.

If you did want to cater to her, you might think about a vinyl stick on based on the shape you have.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.