Trimaran 'conversion' of 1929 Euro canal barge/yacht ?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by GoldMango, Aug 16, 2009.

1. GoldMango

GoldMango New Member

I'd like to expand stability and deck space of the 17' beam/130' long Watercolour I. I envision two additional 'outrigger' hulls –– length of about 42' separated from each side if the ship by about 4'-8' (depending upon the design) with the beam of each outrigger approx. 8 to 9.5 feet. The footprint would then be about 3:1 (length to beam when counting the outrigger-hulls), same as the treasure junks of Zheng He were reported to be (90' with 30' beams).

I figure to carry a tender (Sealegs) and also have plenty of space for other applications such as accommodation for the film crews, an entertainment area, diving platform, etc.

[Note: Watercolour is currently powered by a single screw/260+HP aspirated Mercedes diesel. There's also a 24" diameter bow thruster.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.