Trailer axle question

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mongo75, Aug 15, 2007.

1. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

Sorry but I don't know where else to ask this question- I plan on building my own trailer, and would like to make my own axles instead of paying $200 plus for them. My intent is to have 5000# axles. I was told that axles have a slight camber, or bow upward, just like a flatbed trator trailer. Also, can I just use 2" square tubing, with a 1/4" wall to well the spindles to? Thanks!

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

yes you can weld into there. But how are you going to align the stubs? you dont need toe, or camber really,
    Unless your stubs are interference fit, into the RHS, then you will have a job getting them true

3. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

Lazeyjack- thanks! I didn't think I need any bow, or camber in the axle. I've never noticed that on other axles. I've welded spindles on an axle before and trued them with a tape measure at the outside edge of the brake mount flanges. However, I should be able to get some tubing (2.5" or so) that will give me an interference fit, and I can do a couple of rosette welds to ensure it holds good.

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

the main thing is that your axle does not bend down, as then you will end up with worn tyes, so make sure the steel is big enough, If you can weld alloy then often an alumin trailer is better, that is if you can get hold of 6061 T6, you would then bolt your beams to the chassis rails, um, er better carry on in steel:))

5. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

Another question, and yes I'm staying away from aluminum LOL- I had planned on going with 6x1.75 channel for the frame, but was wondering if 5x1.75 will be ok. Only reason is a big difference in price overall. Again the boat should be around 6500 lbs or so.

6. nero

nero Senior Member

A lot of pain for nothing.

A used mobil home has 8.0000# axels with electric brakes. Most have never gone over a 1,000 miles. I found a chasis and 3 axels for free ... just had to move it and tear off the deck. You should be able to find some at a junk yard for not too much.

7. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

mobil home axels,are great ,,they are made to take the weight and deliver a smooth ride ,,however the mobilhome itself ,the wieght is distributed very evenly,and the frames are not as sturdy as you would think,I dont know how much your boat wieghs ,,mine is 10500lbs,,I dont think a double wide comes too close to that ,,but using the axels and swing kit is ok,,swing kit being the little triangular part that connect the springs,longliner

8. nero

nero Senior Member

Yes, the junior beams in a mobile home chasis are a bit flexible. I doubled them up to make a sort of box beam and used them in an overhead crane.

The trailer I made is about 25 feet long with an additional 25 foot tube to get the hitch in front of the bow. I used 2 of the axels and the calculations for the chasis were based on 15K GVW. Thought I had made a thread on this but can't seem to find it.

9. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

The trailer my current boat is on was a mobile home, and it had electric brakes. I cut the body with a sawzall, ripped it off the frame with some straps and my tow hitch. I then welded 2x1 channel to the cross beams, slapped a couple of carpeted 2x16's on them, and called it a day. The brakes worked fine till they shorted out from continued salt dippings, and when I tried to get parts, they no longer made parts for a 1953 axle LOL. That's when I had to drop almost $1000 in 4 new spindles, brakes and drums, rims and tires. I'd do it again in a heartbeat- that frame is 6x2 channel, very beefy! Now if I can just find another beat up trailer- too bad we don't have hurricanes going through the mobile home parks here in sunny southern California LOL

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.