Leeboards

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by CapKos, Oct 29, 2006.

1. CapKos

CapKos Junior Member

I am interesting to build a leeboard boat of about 32 fts with plywood-epoxy construction. Probably this should be a hoogaar. Did you have sailing experience with such boats? What is Your opinion for leeboards. Also the address of a chartering or sailing company to offer experience with such boats for not very expensive will be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
    CapKos

2. el pirata

el pirata Junior Member

The place to experience leeboard boats is holland. The variation in styles is enormous between hoogars, tjalks, bollers , klippers etc, but they all have the same basic characteristics of shallow draught, mainly flat bottoms and leeboards. I have sailed various traditional dutch craft from 16 foot to 120. And the noticable thing, regardless of size is that they sail like dinghys. They are very close on the wind and with next to no draught and leeboards they are light on the helm and turn on a sixpence. Even the 120 foot two masted Petronella Lydia at about 120 tonnes handled like a dinghy. And fast too! The only drawback I would say is that they are only suitable in sheltered waters. Not good in a heavy sea. I vaguely remember a yacht called a Seafox that had vertically sliding leeboards, but ive no experience of them.

From my time in HollandI remember a company in Kampen called Hanze-something but I can find any trace of them now. They were a sort of agent for the charter fleet of sailing barges there and they would put you in touch with skippers needing crew. They pay next to nothing, but you get to live on board, food supplied and work like a dog. But you get to sail everyday on lovely old boats. I was there a couple of years ago and the boats are still there, though there are more and more new boats, often without leeboards. If you would like to try and get in contact with some of the owners I can call some friends over there and get some contact details for you. There are also large charter fleets in Enkhuizen and Harlingen.

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Cap,

Chesepeake Marine Design has a 24ft leeboard boat of ply/epoxy construction. Smaller than you specified, but a cool little boat.

Have a good one. Gotta get back to the Steelers game.

TGoz

4. Zewe

Zewe Junior Member

An internet search for Herreshoff's Meadowlark will yield some info on current boats in that size range that use leeboards.

5. CapKos

CapKos Junior Member

Thank you gentlemen,

El Pirata, what is exactly the problem with the heavy sea? Is it the pounding when windward, or is the weakness in the leeboard? Could be such boat sail down wind in heavy sea?

Timgoz, I found Chesapeake Marine Design, and surprisingly they have also 32 ft version of the boat. I purchased the study plans but unfortunately this boat is still different from my idea. Nevertheless the contact is useful.

All the best,
    CapKos

6. el pirata

el pirata Junior Member

CapKos

The problem with heavy seas is due to the flat bottom of this type of boat rather than the leeboards. Pounding into waves is quite unpleasant but the real danger is the twisting of the hull. The boats I refered to were all cargo barges of one sort or another. i.e big empty holds. Nothing to stop twisting. In extreme cases it can lead to hull failiure. I had a 80 ft Tjalk that I put 22 tonnes of concrete in to stiffen it. Improved sea going hugely.

Leeboards for sea use are usually longer and thinner i.e higher aspect ratio than those for inland and sheltered waters

El Pirata

7. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

Wow i just but in 22 tons last week, 10 qm. now trying to keep it warm as its friking cold, but she feels a lot beter eaven i havent taken her out of the berth since as leting it harden.

8. CapKos

CapKos Junior Member

Thank you El Pirata. Your experience is extremely helpful.

All the best,
    CapKos

9. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.