Cousteau's mythic ship left to rot in family feud

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by zerogara, Jan 24, 2006.

1. zerogara

zerogara build it and sail it

Attached Files:

2. trouty

trouty Guest

Sad Sad Sad

is about all I can say.

I would say a lot more (bout the family) - but it would be negative - and I think anyone who has ever sucked air underwater from a scuba bottle thru a regulator owes both Cousteau & Gagnon a deep gratitude of respect...

There is no doubt that Scuba diving and underwater exploration in the world today owes those two a great deal. J Cousteus shows certainly shaped my formative years...and I hum to myself Denvers Calypso song, as I was reading that sad sad article.

Cousteaus (Father & Son) must be turning in their graves as they see what has become of her.

Is there nothing good left is world any longer?

Cheers!

3. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

There is a Cousteau museum in Monaco...isn't ?

Prince Albert, buy the Calypso and ....

Money is not a problem for you...

4. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

Sad,Sad,Sad!!!

Eight Bells.

5. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

I second Ranchi Otto!!!

6. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

Not Sad at all.

NO - no they dont. I am not so sure he is the 'hero' he is made out to be.

from the Melbourne (Australian) newspaper 'The AGE'

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/08/31/1062268475963.html?from=storyrhs

7. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

Ted Eldred, unfortunately, passed-away in 2005.

http://www.divetheblue.net/article.php?id=1022

He had written a book - (which I cant find at the moment) - in that book, I believe, he discusses the links that Jaques Cousteau had with the company that wrested the patent away from him. He makes it clear he was threatened. I was blown-away by this news - as a child I watched everything that Cousteau had done - I respect him and his crew no longer.

8. Vega

Vega Senior Member

9. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

Yes it does reflect on Cousteau - his business dealings (behaviour) certainly does.

What then were his contributions to science?? If he did not invent the regulator then why could he claim he did?

The global perception of the maritime environment! - well he wasn't the only one. Please don't forget that ©Cousteau was firstly a business - to sell films - and I also think he received STATE FUNDING from the French Government and would not discuss the issue of French Neuclear Testing in the Pacific for fear of losing his funding.

These issues do diminish the statue.

10. trouty

trouty Guest

2 Hose single stage was first

Cousteau and Gagnons 2 Hose / Single stage, "Aqua Lung" were first, period.
    Accordingly - History accords them the accolades.
    Yes the modification to a single hose two stage wass an improvement, no doubting that and the fact the fellow who modified it didn't make a gazzilion is sad - but that wasn't Cousteaus doing - it was a French company..OK?.

If your looking for an Aussie underwater hero - you need look no further than Jack Sue (who best I know still draws breath today at 80 something)!

Cheers!

11. Milan

Milan Senior Member

I never heard that Cousteau claimed invention of single hose apparatus? On the contrary, each time when he talked about his and Gagnan's invention he talked about twin - hose type. But single or twin are relatively minor differences, what was really original, great and of timeless value in Cousteau and Gagnan's patent was hole new concept of providing air on demand and ambient pressure! That is what really made autonomous systems practical. (There was already autonomous pressurised air apparatus invented at the and of XIX century by French engineer which worked reasonably well but it was very wasteful of air supply as air was provided under the constant pressure in continuous flow).

By the way, Cousteau's divers continued using twin hose system long after the single hose became accepted norm. (Take a look at the documentaries from Alcyone expeditions in the 80's). They also didn't use trim west.

As for the help from French government, in early years he got support from the French Navy. He and some other team members were navy officers after all. His diving team was best what France and world had at the time. They made a lot of pioneering experiments and tested and developed lot's of diving equipment. Among other activities for the navy they cleared many Second World War minefields around French harbours, made some dangerous experiments about effects of under water explosions on the divers physiology, pioneered deep saturation dives, e.c.t. As for direct governmental contracts they did a lot of oceanographicall and geological research.

As for nuclear testing, Mark, I think you got that one wrong. He was against it, even organised a complete expedition to research envinronmental effects of nuclear testing in Morora. There was at least one long documentary about that expedition. Devastation on the bottom and damage to the coral was very clear. Measuring of radiation of water samples and marine wild life didn't gave conclusive results against testing but he was still clearly against it, although he didn't say that very explicitly. He also spoke against the renewal of experiments years later.

12. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

No - I believe Cousteau was very connected to Air Liquide. If I can find Ted Eldred's book...

13. trouty

trouty Guest

Marc

I think you'll find that Cousteaus association with Air Liquide was well after the aquisition of Porpoise.

I don't believe anyone can take away from Cousteau - what he and his boys achieved.

Cheers!

14. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

Cousteau spoke out about neuclear testintg - Yes and No.

http://www.thebulletin.org/article.php?art_ofn=mar90danielsson

15. nevadamike

nevadamike Junior Member

If Cousteau and family did nothing more, they brought the oceans of the world to a public that might not ever have bothered. French gov't? Say what you will... They helped us (USA) out a time or two when we needed it. Yes I know we've repaid that debt. But the fact remains that the Cousteaus' accomplishments are important to us all. That's as liberal as I can get. Mike.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.