boats for Myanmar cyclone relief/recovery

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Stephen Ditmore, May 7, 2008.

1. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Judging by the limited media info from Burma, Unless you are a well financed government or NGO (able to bribe the military Junta/greedy ******** who do not care to help), then It will surely be lost to the military to pose in front of for propaganda purposes.

Just look at the posing for local TV that is going on - and there is no evidence of haste or energy about the Junta's actions - Just lineing up for "happy snaps"

I would guess that local hire of longtails and other boats that normally work locally would be the logical course of action, also that they would know how to get to where the need was perceived as most critical.

I doubt that any recreational boat owners would be in a position to render assistance and/or risk loosing their home-on-the-water (their existing insurance policy would also be at risk of being deemed nul-and-void) would you be willing to risk your home to help? I do not expect anyone to respond in such a situation...

COMPARE that with the Chinese earthquake disaster response - in to it as soon as can be expected and public media getting in to report and confirm issues to be addressed... A vast improvement

3. Stephen Ditmore

What the BBC reported was hundreds, perhaps thousands of boats were destroyed in an area that depends on them for local commerce. So what I'm suggesting is that, if you know where UN affiliated NGOs can PURCHASE boats without being gouged, boats that are already well positioned near the Bay of Bengal, please post that information at http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22384 and I will see that the UN gets it.

I am NOT suggesting that unaffiliated private boat owners rush to enter Burma without visas. Though I think we should all be prepared to offer aid at sea and elsewhere, I agree with Masalai that one should proceed with caution.

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

And given the junta's reaction how pray do you prpose to man this flotilla of "Purchased" boats - should such boats exist, which I doubt? Most of the locals are either dead or so demoralised (having lost family etc) as to be entirely useless - as would most of this flotilla which you have purchased from God knows where! the best vessels for this job are military landing craft manned by military personnel that understand their craft, unfortunately the junta is not having any of that!!

Laudable idea, but fundamentally flawed!

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Of the few net members who live nearby, I have not heard from them for weeks...

I am sure the NGO's and others have the capacity to visit Thailand & Malaysia (where they are based) - it appears - to hire /make arrangements for themselves...

Use Google Earth and see for yourself - the smaller (river-work) longtails will not show up unless they were moving at the time of the shot - some year or two ago...

The local fisher folk would probably appreciate the work as the pollution may make fishing non viable... many of the "lost" boats may be recoverable and fitted with an engine locally is your best bet.

6. safewalrus

Mas those 'net members' living nearby have their own problems I guess!

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Thus I presumed, and did not offer names for I do not expect them to be involved as they are wise in local conditions and constraints

Stephen, It would be 10 times easier for you to go to Cuba and return with a boatload of refugees from Guantanimo Bay... Get the drift?

8. Stephen Ditmore

I'm just trying to connect UN people with people in the Bay of Bengal who know something about boats & their availability (as I tried to do after the Tsunami). I wouldn't presume to tell the UN or NGOs working with them how to conduct their operations. But there is nautical expertise in this web community. Those of us who are steeped in boats are sometimes surprised at how little the general public understands them.

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Most NGO's have a local presence and therefore know the local scene quite well... These people are often locals - maintaining offices and doing other work like community development in quiet times.... Those contacts would have been made at a local level.... as was the rebuilding/repair/replacement of the boats of the fisherfolk following the tsunami...

10. Stephen Ditmore

I agree .... that's why the emphasis on developing contacts in area. But if the officials with funds to allocate are out of area a contact list is helpful.

A boat with supplies aboard is reported to have sunk. This suggests a need for better boats or more experienced (river) mariners. NGO field coordinators may be capable, but they're not expert in everything.

If the food doesn't go to the people, the people will try to go to the food, which means they won't be growing food or tending to things at home.

Even a supposedly capable government can find events running ahead of it, as when Hurricane Katrina flooded New Orleans (a not dissimilar event).

11. safewalrus

But see my post # 4 above!

and bottom line your point being?

12. Stephen Ditmore

I've heard Zodiacs are now being brought in from Dubai. I have no objection to boats being manned by military personnel. I also have no objection to boats being manned by civilian personnel (which may include ex-military and others who have more experience than most relatively young soldier/sailors).

It's not true that most people in the affected areas are dead. Tens of thousands are, but several hundred thousand are alive but homeless and without resources.

While I'm not an advocate of cruisers putting Burma on their list of destinations, my point is that if one puts all ones faith in any government one can end up waiting a long time.

13. Gypsie

Gypsie Randall Future by Design

Pandaw Cruises in Myanma are heading their own relief programme in conjunction with the UK based relief agency.
    Here is some info that was passed onto me, the situation is worse than any of us will ever know. Please help
    Just to update you, we are handing over Pandaw IV to Merlin, a UK based charity - www.merlin.org.uk. They are already in the field and have a team on the way out now.
    Pandaw IV will reposition tomorrow from Prome to Henzada where we will meet the Merlin team. Henzada is closer to the airport so easy to transfer supplies being flown. From there she will travel with a medical team on board to Laputta to act as a field hospital and supply centre.
    The large dining room will convert to a clinic and the existing cabins used to accomodate the relief team. A number of Burmese doctors have volunteered to join the ship.
    Pandaw II is currently in Mandalay undergoing engine repairs and as soon as we can move her she will relocate down to the Delta. A number of NGOs have contacted us about utilising her. One problem is fuel supply and cost. Today at K7,500 per gallon ($7).
    This is where your donations can really help. Since launching the appeal yesterday we have had over $36,000 cleared through our bank. This is amazing and all our Pandaw team in Burma are totally moved by the outstanding generosity of Pandaw passengers.
    The money will firstly be used for fuel for the ships and then to assist the operations of our charity partners like Merlin
    I think we all feel that this is a country that has touched us in some way. Now we can repay the Burmese for all the warm hospitality and enriching experiences we have in the past enjoyed there.
    If you would like to donate just log on: www.pandaw.com.
    Please note we can not accept cheques.
    If you want to do a bank transfer our details are:
    DBS Bank Limited
    SWIFT - DBSSSGSG
    Acc Name: Pandaw Cruises Pte Ltd
    USD AccNo: 0003-002103-01-7
    GBP Acc No: 0003-003173-01-0-022
    Euro Acc No: 0003-003173-02-0-022
    AUD Acc No: 0003-003930-01-4-022
    Ref: Cyclone Appeal Burma

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Gypsie, I wish you all the very best in your endeavours, but news reaching me is NOT very encouraging, with expatriates being banned from the delta region, further cargo confiscated - a vast contrast to the openness and activity found in China following the earthquake.

It really upsets me to see this total disregard for the suffering people.... I will not comment further lest it - - you can guess......

15. Gypsie

Gypsie Randall Future by Design

Masalai,
    It is not me but the owner and operators of Pandaw Cruisers who are doing the work. They are putting their local knowledge to use with limited use of expats other than doctors etc. They only need money as essentials like water and supplies can be purchased upcountry in Burma at very cheap prices to distribute. The fuel they need is expensive but readily available in Burma. This is good to see as I am sure there is all sorts of sweetheart deals going on with suppliers of relief supplies to the UN who then Airfreight it in. A lot of the basics are available in Burma.
    Anyhow if you want to make a direct difference make a donation to Pandaw, bank details in my last reply.
    As to the total disregard, yeah mate its hard to swallow.