Boats Are For Idiots

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sean Herron, Dec 31, 2007.

1. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Ahhh... family life is splendure in disguse for manly lost of right in exchange for responsible interfamily slavery..... err... I think...:D

Attached Files:

2. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

hmmmmm,,,,my wifey has the same picture on our wall,,,but hers seems to be different,,,,,ohhhh,,thats it,,,hers has a WOMAN in the chair!!!!
    i think someones messin with my head :confused:
    are you sure thats only 1 of ya family members? hehe

4. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

All wives look like Lynda Carter; initially .Boy can that change quickly. When I see what such lucky guys end up with, boy do I feel smug. Great to be called a loser when you see what prizes the winners end up with.
    Makes single handing look much better Just me and Palmela Anderson. Doesn't get much bettter.
    Brent

5. Tumblehome32

Tumblehome32 Junior Member

And wealthier!

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

um,,,,im thinking i musta missed me and the wifeys "initial" meeting :confused:

7. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

Idiots

There are plenty of "Idiots " anchored in peaceful anchorages sipping their morning coffee as we speak, thinking about all the smart people gasping in smog filled traffic lineups, while letting the little head do all the thinking for the big one..
    What keeps many aspiring cruisers from joining them is the misconception that they must have expensive "Trendy " gear before they can leave the dock. I took my first boat for it's first sail using manilla sheets with eye bolts for leads, kerosene lamps, neo electrics etc.. Pain in the ***. How long does it take to change sheets and shackle on blocks when the opportunity arrives . Meanwhile I was sailing. A longshoreman uncle gave me an armload of black iron turnbuckles . How long does it take to change them when the opportunity arrives . Sail with what you have or can afford. Make improvements as you cruise. Concetrate on things that can't be changed later and, with gear that can be easily changed , use whatever you can get your hands on and get your *** off the treadmill ASAP. Dont buy the consumerism line. As I mention in my book , you can judge the value of advice by looking at what it has done for the person offering it. If he has taken decades and mega bucks to get off the treadmill, then following his advice will probably get you the same results,and take as long.
    Brent

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i figure its easier by the sounds of it ta jus shake my head and laugh at everybody. and by brents comment,,,me spending my money here sounds easier,(and before ya holla bout being easy aint right or so on brent, remember why you aint row'n,,,,cause sailing is easier ;) ) and me spending my money on other things then boats,,,( oh,, like the tools i buy instead,,,to work on boats ) makes me,,,,um,,,an idiot??? hahaha ;)
    and hey,,i dont fall into that "co--n-,suu-mer,-" ( sorry couldnt sound out dat big werd) i "stick it to" the "man",,,i only shower once a month,,my water bill went down 3 whole dolla's ;)

9. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

Idiots

An old Chinese proverb said" A man is like a bicycle. As long as he is moving toward something he is stable . Stop and he falls over.
    This explains why some people get bored out of their tree crusing the tropics. A man without a project is a man without a life.
    My sister once said "I have the putter gene." I said " Most people have the putter gene ,in one form or another , but many just don't realise it."
    Tools not only solve the problem , but can be a source of cruising funds as well. It's surprising how many cruisers wouldn't know how to make a plug for a dog's *** ,even if their lives depended on it.
    I really missed the projects when I was in the tropics. I have an alternator rigged as a welder, chinese generator and basic metal working tools , enabling me to make any fitting I or others need.
    Comming home from Tonga , when I hit 38 degrees north, the sea flattened and it got cool enough to work , out came the tools and I began to have the first real "Patience my ***, I'm gonna build something" fix in a long time . Felt like I'd died and gone to heaven.
    Pitiful is a word we in the free world use to decribe those who are on the treadmill and hate it.
    Brent

10. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Welcome back Brent.

Get yourself a new project and start cracking. I have just started one myself and all sanity returned - just like a miracle:cool:

11. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

my sister told me i ate too many potatoes ;) ,,i dont like moving very much,,takes more energy then its worth,wasted time i could use daydreamin bout "wonder woman" hehe
    and that "chinese" dude neva seen a stationary bike,,,poor dude :(
    hehe,,,maybe i just wish i didnt "have" to move,,maybe im dreaming now,,maybe wonder woman is--------(be right back have some "paper work" ta get to)
    ;)
    and P.S. ,,,,,my king size pillowtop bed feels bout as close to heaven as i've been ;)

12. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Oh to be an idiot.................................

13. masalai

masalai masalai

Clarify please.... with a boat of my desires & resources to run it as long as I desire. Your wish is relatively easy to get & probably not what you desired....

14. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Ned of Wales: "Excuse me sir, are you the village idiot?"

Eccles: "No, but when he retires, I'm first in line"

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Those Goons are still magic!!!!!!!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.