Boats Are For Idiots

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sean Herron, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Hello...

Lets face it - apart from the Joe going out to catch some fish to feed his family and sell off any surplus to buy goodies only available via cash - to his children - what we do is a luxury item...

Boats are for idiots - the people who design same for people who do not fish - are idiots - I am an idiot - I am humble - and I admit it - idiot ryhmes with idiot...

I like being apart of an arrogant sector of this society who sees boats as more than a means of sustanance - and I am good at same - I like feeling apart of the highly evolved who at any moment are about to get taken out by a fully laden gravel truck...

Where is that gravel truck...

I grow tired of the Starbuck Latte - sucking pukes - who just awakened to sea honoured design bits...

Go D/L - Siouxsie and the Banshees - 'The Killing Jar' or 'Cities in the Dust'...

I am a very happy person...

SH

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Boats are a complete waste of time...

Sean,

Of all the things you might waste your otherwise valuable time with, there are few things I have found that are better for wasting your time than with boats.

You see I think that the reason is because you can spend a lot of time, money, effort, emotional energy, etc., on messing with boats and actually feel like your are doing something useful.

Now tell me, how many complete wastes of times can you do and actually feel like you are accomplishing something? Usually after you waste a lot of time you have only disgusted yourself again with all that non-productive time you could have spent enjoying yourself, skiing or loafing, or spending with your family, or earning money or something. You see with boats you do not have to feel disgusted, you can fool yourself into actually thinking you have accomplished something useful. Even if you spent most of the time talking at the docks about what your are accomplishing on your boat, it does not matter, you spent the time messing about with boats.

I think that is one of the most valuable things that boats have to offer the recreational boater.

What is so idiotic about that?

3. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

I built my boat for real reality need... to survey, to have sex... and to plan for future trips... sea or river... although I have some commercial load for some boat that earn me money... boat is a beauty in the eyes of the beholder... really even old boat trigger good memories... chao...

4. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

:p I "bought my boat so I would have to stop pissing my money away at bars!
    Boats are like pets, once you are fool enough to get one, you are judged by society at a number of levels. The type, the size, the condition, the attention you pay it, even the name., BUT... we become people who are admired and envied, loved and respected. Plus we live longer and are more well adjusted. We are validated. I ALSO... I don't need organized religion to understand my purpose in life. It is to keep my boat afloat !

5. Petros

Petros Senior Member

well I would never advise anyone to fall in love with anything that can not love you back, neither would I worship a boat (idolatry? or is boatlatry?).

Both will leave you very disappointed.

So the question is are we really idiots, or just crazy. I know a lot of smart boat owners, so it MUST be crazy. An irrational desire to waste time and money on something that has no useful purpose. Kind of like drinking, gambling or drugs I guess, but I do not know since I never participated in any of that. Perhaps because I built my first boat when I was ten years old, and have not stop building them since.

Humm, that does not sound good, may be I will stop thinking about it so much now.

6. Loveofsea

Loveofsea New Member

How else do you get to all of those incredible places??

For me owning a boat is all about getting out on the open sea and running as far as you can, spending days and nights in blissful desolation anchored at the most remote places you can get to...

There is nothing like the feeling of utter security on a tumultuous sea~!

7. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

gentlemen, looks like we are all in the same boat;)

8. Loveofsea

Loveofsea New Member

Here in Southern California we have several offshore islands and banks. When i was a kid i became fascinated with all those distant places, particularily the Cortes bank. The Cortes is a submerged mountain top that resides a hundred miles off the southern coast. There is an incredible kelp forest out there in the middle of nowhere and it is a wild place to be!

I needed a way to get out there so i designed and built the good skiff. My garage is very small, so i needed a boat that was small enough to fit, yet capable of running offshore for days at a time. I looked at dozens of manufacturers and boat plans and i found sweet NOTHING anywhere that would suit my needs.

Therein lies the beauty of designing and building your own boat! You end up with EXACTLY what you want. Since '91 i have logged over 60,000nm, been through 5 new outboards and have been able to live this incredible lifestyle.

i've been out to that bank 30 times and have spent 29 nights anchored in blissful desolation...

I'm not wholesale knocking commercially manufactured boats, i'm just saying that for some of us they fall to deliver the unique capabilities that make solo offshore adventures possible.

Build you own, don't settle for what you can buy~

9. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Probably.... Say, 50 & certainly no more than 100 types of boats would serve all the needs of mankind.
    Yet we continue to design the same boats, over & over. Maybe it's time to freeze boat design.
    There would be a committee formed & anyone needing a different type of boat would plead their case & show need to the committee.:cool:

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i drather have a boat then swim ;)

11. Loveofsea

Loveofsea New Member

Idiot is not an appropriate term, but there has to be a word for all those who actually have a boat but do not use it to it's full potential!

What would you call them????

:)

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

elderly

13. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

then I am a full idiot already... ;)

1 person likes this.
  14. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i dont even have a boat,,,,,whats that make me?,,,,,never mind i know,,,,WET ;)

1 person likes this.

15. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

No, pitiful, just pitiful.:p

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.